Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a difference of opinion as to if there is any benefit to this or not, but I think I'll try it when I change the plugs in the spring. Different threads I've read on this give different directions. Some say to orient the gap toward the intake valve others the exhaust and one I just read said away from the combustion chamber and toward the cylinder? What's your opinions/experiences and what about the E3 spark plugs that don't need indexed?

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
On a cutting edge, all-stops-pulled maximum build, perhaps a very minor gain in power. On a street driven engine, Zip. You won't feel a thing. Not worth the bother unless you "want" to. (I still mess around with points ignitions because I think it's fun). Go for it, just don't expect much.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
My opinion? I can't prove that it helps any, but it sure can't hurt. It's an easy thing to do, all it takes is a little time and patience. I indexed mine, and I pointed the "open" side of the plug towards the intake valve. It's something that race teams do, so they must think it matters.

I don't have an opinion on the E3's. I've seen side-by-side "tests" on TV where they supposedly make a difference but then those same shows usually also run ad spots for them, so I'm cautious about that.

Bear

1 - 3 of 3 Posts