Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
67 GTO convertible. Supercharged LS3
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined the GTO forum 4 years ago and made a couple of inquiries about interiors but I'd been bitten by the GTO bug. Four years later and more $ than I care to admit I finished my ride this past June, and am fully indoctrinated in all things GTO. My goal was a fire-breathing monster that was the real deal but still had the grace and class of the 67. I think (at least I hope) I achieved that goal. I recently retired and my plan was to trailer the car to shows around the country with my wife. So much for that plan. So here's my car, 4 years after starting it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Is that a supercharger install on a Pontiac 400? Give us the details on what was needed as I am sure others might want to know how to do that. I prefer a 6-71 sticking through the hood myself. (y)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that a supercharger install on a Pontiac 400? Give us the details on what was needed as I am sure others might want to know how to do that. I prefer a 6-71 sticking through the hood myself. (y)
No. It's a Whipple on an LS3. I bought the motor brand new, had it torn down and rebuilt with a cam, springs, etc to match the supercharger and anticpated output. I put some of this in my profile but attached is a more complete listing of what's been done to the car

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No. It's a Whipple on an LS3. I bought the motor brand new, had it torn down and rebuilt with a cam, springs, etc to match the supercharger and anticpated output. I put some of this in my profile but attached is a more complete listing of what's been done to the car
Sorry, that was a poor picture. I found a copy of that poster finished in pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
That's a beauty. How about some interior pics? I once wanted to find somebody with a sweet 67 black gto and a junked up running 67 and go to shows together as The Good, Bad and the Ugly lol. Yours is BAD!!!!.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very kind of you. I realized after showing the car my real enjoyment comes from others who like the car. Many just give it the once over but the REAL GTO lovers start to flip the pages in the build book, scrutinize the dyno curve then invariably they are on their backs looking under it. I actually have a mat for them to lay on. These were taken for the local GTO club car of the month feature. This is a full custom interior but I did not want to diverge from the original too much. Mild but supportive bolsters and understated GTO symbol stitched in the seatbacks. If you look closely you will see six buttons on the center console that mount at one's fingertips. 2 for cutout open/close, 2 for nitrous arm & purge, 2 for up/down manual electronic shift.

The tranny is a 6L80 custom built with added clutches, HD clutch material, billet intermediate shaft and HD bearings, all to handle 1000 HP hole shots. Yes, I drive my car but I am not a fast driver. Hole shots are rare because frankly all it does is burn up tires. Still, I wanted the bragging rights. With the pipes open and top down I have had it to 140 for about 2 seconds before losing my nerve and it was still accelerating very hard. It is scary how fast traffic comes up on you at that speed differential. The Morrison frame and suspension absolutely is required. It makes lane changing a breeze (not to pun because at 140 a hurricane is quieter). Again, glad you like it. If the virus ever gets controlled maybe I'll be able to trailer it around the country like I planned. Who knows, some day you will see me at a show.

I have a you tube link of pick up date this past June after 8 months of Kindigit-level body and paint.

YouTube

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Beautiful GTO PMRT!
Although I’m a diehard OEM original guy, to the point of being OCD, in my opinion your choices are very tasteful and complimentary to the original 67 design. Tail panel is a perfect example of that.
Nice job!
Enjoy

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GTOTIGER:
I struggled with that decision so you made my day. I have a lot of stories from the last 4 years. a close friend of mine with a stock 66 vette went out of his mind when he saw me take a 67 with 21k original miles (B minus stock restoration) and start to take it apart. "Keep this one original and buy another one to mod" he said. To which I replied: "yeah, just what my wife wants around here....two 67 GTO's. We're still friends but he never forgave me. :) ps. many identify the 67 by the tail lights. They don't see the other subtleties from 65 & 6. I am moving from MA to NH next year and will need new plates. I was thinking about: "Guess". What do you think?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Close up of the brakes and wheels. Brake calipers were black. Sand blasted them and had powder coat mixed that matches the redlines, interior, pin stripe and Leather wrap on the top of the steering wheel.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
311 Posts
You’re a smart man, brought back a beautiful GTO that will be the envy of a broad range of Pontiac enthusiasts while keeping peace at home... And, you did it your way. After all you’re the one who committed the time and investment, so unless you plan to sell it you’re the one (and your lovely wife) who it must please.
As far as recognizing the year, to me the most distinct identifiers between the 66 & 67 are the grills and the tail lights/ panel. To me it’s all 67 - no “guessing” required...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha. There is also a difference in the bevel of the headlights as seen from the side. Another quick story: A new neighbor wanted to see my new boiler this past July as he's thinking of installing a new one. We go into the cellar through the garage. He sees the car and goes nuts. Takes a video and sends it to a friend from Dubai. The guy calls me a few days later and asks if I want to sell it. I say no, I just finished it in June. Cutting the story short he calls me back a week later and says he can get me 500K for it. Turns out this guy works for oil-money people in Dubai. He lives in the US to buy stuff for them and recommend things to them. Had to think hard about that but I turned it down. Everyone reading this knows this stuff does not come cheap. If I needed the money I wouldn't sink it into a GTO. So if I sold it sure, I'd have the half mil but an empty garage. I'd regret it forever. At 64 even if I went to Kindigit it would take 2 years to get another. I know them.....I asked. As my neighbor saw it. Garage cleaner than the family room.
Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design Automotive tire

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Is the Whipple similar to the older Latham superchargers? That was what it kinda reminded me of when I saw it - belt driven rotors.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Close up of the super charger. You can see the drive shaft that is covered in the engine bay picture. Belt driven. Twin turbine. I use the large pulley. It adds about 10 lbs of boost giving the engine just about 950 HP to the crank at 4500-5000 rpm (calculated back from a rear wheel hp of just under 750. I want to be clear: I'm no expert and have zero experience with superchargers. I'm telling you what the tuner told me. He also says if I use the small pulley that comes with the supercharger it will add about 150 hp or so at 4500-5000 rpm. One more thing I've noticed. The motor comes alive on a cool fall day. Dropping the ambient temperature by 20 degrees probably adds 25+ HP.

Machine Classic Antique Silver Engineering
Automotive exhaust Machine Silver Box Steel
Automotive exhaust Machine Silver Box Steel

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like your choice on the conv top material
Thank you. It is Mercedes canvas. I opted for a glass window that needs to be unzipped and lowered before the top goes down. When I drive with the top up, which is rare, I leave the window down. It's great. I also opted for Mercedes rug material in the interior.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is something else for those of you interested in restomods. The first picture is the Morrison frame before painting. It is essentially 2 massive frames welded together for stiffness. Notice the cross member in front of the rear end. It dips a bit but goes straight through where the driveshaft and exhaust pipes need to be. When we called Morrison they said: "yeah, we have some issues". The second picture is the fix. We jigged the frame so it would not move, cut out that straight section and welded in a 3-curve 3" steel pipe. As you can see in the second picture we were able to tuck the 3" pipes and the larger drive shaft into the triple curved cross member. Works great and looks cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I very much appreciate everyone's kind words, and now during cold weather I hope you are enjoying the pictures. Stay tuned. I do not have the experience and talent to do this myself so I would like to acknowledge the people and vendors who did the work. If you look at the poster I included earlier, they are there. I cannot recommend them more highly. I had only two bad experiences. 1) A tranny shop in Florida took me for 5K and shipped a piece of junk. The motor was bought brand new and also was not as advertised. Since I decided to super charge it in winter 2 of my 4 year build we needed to tear it down anyway. I think the guy that did the super charging has motor oil running through is veins.

I can't help myself; I'm a real ham behind the wheel. I come a bit late to shows so there is a crowd. I idle in with the cutouts open. At idle the motor has a really nice cam rock. Those of you who have high hp cars know what that sounds like without mufflers. I'll throw it in neutral and blip the accelerator. The motor barks and snarls, then pops with back pressure as it returns to idle. I'll purge the nitrous through two lines (one running to each side of the hood nostrils) during a motor rev and shoot super cold nitrous 5 ft beyond the hood. The spectators go wild. I wish I had a video to share.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is a story you may find interesting. I watched the car shows for years. I really liked Fantomworks so when I decided to do this I contacted Dan Short. I wasn't particularly interested in having the car built on tv, I just wanted quality work. We talked for an hour after which he asked a) how much I thought it would cost, and b) what I thought the car would be worth when done. I answered correctly so he said: "ok, send your car down". He was surprised to learn I didn't have one. After I hired him to find one I told him I wanted to go with him. At that point he asked me if I wanted to build it on TV. I agreed and started talking to the producers in between trips to Chicago, St. Louis and other cities. During these trips I met and had dinner with the stars of Garage Squad, their wives and several of their parts suppliers. I'm the guy in the yellow shirt. Joe (Garage Squad) is in front of me to the left. Dan Short to the right. Their wives are in the front row. The guy furthest to the left with glasses (Tom) had his car done on the show and became good friends with Dan. All friendly, warm people. It was a great time.

In the end I built the car locally in MA. I'll tell you more about that later.

Smile Fun People Social group Leisure

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This picture is two months after finishing the original build. I like the picture because it is dressed for a 4th of July parade but it is prior to the custom interior and new paint/body work. I know; it looks good, but for those of you with a discerning eye an up close examination of the body and paint would cause silent disappointment. Me too. I fell in love with the 67 GTO when I was 11. It took me 50 years to get one. I wanted to be delighted at everything. .

In this picture the car has a standard, off the shelf, PUI interior. Notice the wheels. They are Billet Specialties and are identical to the wheels that are on the car now except they are natural color, brushed aluminum and coated. Wheels are a very personal. I looked at a lot of wheels and when I saw these it was love at first sight. I tried hard not to buy them because as usual I have expensive taste, but in the end I was very happy with them. When I put the car in for a total body/paint restoration last winter I bit the "billet" again (pun) and repurchased a new set identical to the first set except in gloss black. Billet Specialties told me: "you can tell everyone you have one-of-a-kind Billet Specialties wheels because we never made these before and never will again. Black was impossibly hard to make. We had to make them twice to yield 4 wheels". So now I have two sets with tires mounted to switch back and forth!
Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

1 - 20 of 108 Posts