Pontiac GTO Forum banner
81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
67 GTO convertible. Supercharged LS3
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Here is a rocker 2/3 done. Look near the towel. It has a mirror finish. I cover the section that's finished so I don't inadvertently damage or dirty it. The left end has been partially sanded. I wore out that palm sander.

Handwriting Brass

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Aside from getting both headlights smashed with a Louisville slugger by your girlfriend here's what happens when you cheat. In this picture I tried to start with 600 instead of 400 grit on a door rocker molding. I went through the the entire process. Hours of hand sanding but stopped after 2-3 applications of McGuire's because it was obvious it wasn't going to work.

If you held this piece at arm's distance (and certainly if it was on the bottom of a door) you'd say it looks good. But the picture at the bottom is how it can look. It's far better than the finish on an OEM or aftermarket piece right out of the box.

Silver Woolen

Linens Service

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Top picture is the top of the door molding. You will improve causing you to go back and re-do earlier pieces. I even did the valve covers.
Textile Room Stuffed toy Purple Magenta

Plastic bottle Bag Metal Scarf Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I think it was worth it. Plus I got a guitar!

That's about it, guys. Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle Automotive design Land vehicle
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Guitar Plucked string instruments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
postscript:
Autosol: Forget it. Period. end of story.

Mothers mag or metal polish: Good for aluminum wheels Doesn't do anything for stainless but it does take off the black polishing residue you create. So as a final cleaner it's fine and that's why you see it in the pictures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I joined the GTO forum 4 years ago and made a couple of inquiries about interiors but I'd been bitten by the GTO bug. Four years later and more $ than I care to admit I finished my ride this past June, and am fully indoctrinated in all things GTO. My goal was a fire-breathing monster that was the real deal but still had the grace and class of the 67. I think (at least I hope) I achieved that goal. I recently retired and my plan was to trailer the car to shows around the country with my wife. So much for that plan. So here's my car, 4 years after starting it.
hi my name is sal from long island ny
your car is beautiful i have the identical car only i have the pinstiping,iam writing you because i want to put new wheels on my car and iam worried about fitment i noticed you have a large wheel what is the size of them and if possible do you know the backspacing and any other meauserment i may need
thankyou
sal

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
hi my name is sal from long island ny
your car is beautiful i have the identical car only i have the pinstiping,iam writing you because i want to put new wheels on my car and iam worried about fitment i noticed you have a large wheel what is the size of them and if possible do you know the backspacing and any other meauserment i may need
thankyou
sal
Hi Sal
First, send me a picture of my car's brother, please. My car actually is pinstriped. Look back through the body sections to the picture of the GTO on the side of the car on the back quarter and you can see the strip. It is very thin and understated.

To answer your questions:
I have 275 x 40 18's on the rear and 245's on the front. Trust me, 275 is absolutely the widest wheel you can fit in the rear. I have about 0.25" clearance between the tire and the inner wheel well and the same between the tire and the inside of the fender.

We had complications on wheel clearance because the Morrison rear end was an inch wider on each side vs the OEM spec. We had to compensate by using a shallower wheel backspacing (5", same as the fronts), but I would have preferred a 6" dish in the back. If you have an OEM rear end then your wheel backspacing will be different and 6" may work.

We also had to add quarter inch spacers on the hubs to dial in such a wide tire. Not a big deal and in the end it worked out, but the spacing is so close on the driver's side we actually had to hammer the wheel well towards the interior of the trunk in one spot just a bit because a tire would rub on hard, right hand cornering.

We went with 18's as a matter of taste but as well, I was told 17's are a bit out of favor now and have increasingly limited choices. 19 and up seemed too outrageous. We didn't make any measurements for fit but we reasoned there was a strong likelihood we would need a super low sidewalls with 19's or larger. Plus, I did not want that kind of appearance or ride. In short, 18" was just right. It also allowed us to more easily adjust the ride height with the coilovers.

Wheel depth is tricky. We screwed up and neglected to measure for the calipers so watch it!, We ordered wheels with a backspacing that, when installed hit the massive calipers in front. Mine are the racing style calipers so they are very large. I don't see them on many other cars so most are smaller. We ended up adding half inch spacers to get past the front calipers. Again, not a huge deal but be sure to account for caliper size when specifying backspacing. To be clear, mine are 5" backspacing all around but again, needing spacers for the front for my calipers.

When I ordered my second set of wheels I took the approach: "don't fix it if it ain't broken" and ordered the identical dimensions as the first time so I would not have to deal with adding or removing the spacers if I switched wheels.

pictures please!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Beautiful car my friend. While most may not go for the LS swap route, I like it if it's done right. Personally, I think to pull it off the rest of the car has to be flawless. Tasteful custom touches help it work as well. The job has to look like the modern engine wasn't a compromise or done because it was easy. Let's face it, it's not easy or cheep to do. There are a ton of hidden cost to an engine swap that folks forget about until it's too late.

You definitely did it. Nice worK!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Hi Jared:
Thank you. I am happy it measures up. In my opinion DeLorean and his designers were geniuses. Unfettered by 5 mph bumpers, fuel mileage, crash safety and other standards this team managed to build passion on 4 wheels.
I did not want to destroy the passion which is easily done. For example, the restoration shop wanted to shave the door handles or install the Kindigit custom handles. No way! I think the OEM door handles are sexy.

But indulging one's passion can be addictive. I'm in discussions about a supercharged LSX that puts NO LESS than 1000 ponies to the ground. It will be cost effective (relatively speaking) because everything from the LS3 swaps over. It's still TBD.

ps. here's the OEM chassis after the operation. I didn't know what to do with it so I hauled it to the junkyard.

Just kidding. Lasted half a day on CL. A Boston cop bought it to restore his own 67.
Chassis Rim Automotive tire Spoke Auto part
Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive engine part Synthetic rubber Carbon
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Spoke Fender

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I am just finishing this carriage house. This picture was taken today, about 6 hours ago, only 1 minute after those lights came on for the first time. I built it for the GTO. The cement slab has radiant heat and it is air conditioned. I will install a movable lift but I do not plan any serious or dirty work in it.

I will install a lift but don't plan any serious or dirty work in it. This is for cleaning (both the body and underneath), storing and just enjoying the GTO, and one or two other cars in the future. I will decorate it with pieces from the 50's and 60's, and a giant neon GTO sign I saw at SEMA last year. :)

When the inside is mostly done and the GTO is in it I'll post a picture. That's in about 2 weeks. It won't be decorated but there are a couple of nice touches already.
Property House Winter Home Real estate

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Nice looking engine. Obviously the octane requirement depends on your compression ratio. But I’m sure you knew that. My 505 needs over 100 octane with a 12.2 CR. I run VP 110.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Nice looking engine. Obviously the octane requirement depends on your compression ratio. But I’m sure you knew that. My 505 needs over 100 octane with a 12.2 CR. I run VP 110.
I couldn't afford to drive a car on the street if I needed VP110 - it would have to be a garage queen.

·
Registered
81 Posts
pmrt, Thanks for posting all the detail about polishing your stainless. And mentioning how long it took is also valuable info - without that I'd have probably given up sooner and assumed I was doing something wrong. I've got 3 cars worth of exterior trim from '64 GTOs and plan to use the best pieces for my own. I'll probably sell the rest but surely won't take all that time to polish if first!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
pmrt, Thanks for posting all the detail about polishing your stainless. And mentioning how long it took is also valuable info - without that I'd have probably given up sooner and assumed I was doing something wrong. I've got 3 cars worth of exterior trim from '64 GTOs and plan to use the best pieces for my own. I'll probably sell the rest but surely won't take all that time to polish if first!
Hi 64:
you are entirely welcome. And I'm glad it helped you gauge how much effort you need to invest to get stainless to look like a mirror. Trust me, some of my stainless like the pieces at the bottom of the rear quarters was pretty nasty. If I can do it anyone can do it. Best advice I can give is a) concentrate on the specific section of the piece in front of you. Don't look ahead because it can get overwhelming. b) be sure the piece is secured to the work surface. if it is moving around you will not be able to do a good job and/or you will damage it and/or cut yourself on a sharp edge.

It takes more time to make blocking to stabilize the piece but in the end it is the fastest way to a superior, satisfying result. Flat pieces can be stabilized by merely placing them on a towel. Curved pieces are harder to stabilize but be sure to follow the curve or you will bend the piece out of shape. Good luck. Post your results.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
WOW!

Monster status = achieved
Beautiful = YES
Home fitting such a beautiful machine = DONE!

That beast must be a blast to drive!!! (y)(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
WOW!

Monster status = achieved
Beautiful = YES
Home fitting such a beautiful machine = DONE!

That beast must be a blast to drive!!! (y)(y)(y)(y)
Hi Dan
I can say this with all sincerity. There is nothing better. The feeling I get sitting in this beautiful machine knowing there is close to 1000 hp under my right foot is thrilling. The sound of the motor is pure music to my ears.

As mentioned my wife and I are building a house in NH. It has been a long, two year process but we are about three weeks from finishing it and moving in. We sold our old home six months ago so a close car-buddy friend of mine took my car into his temp controlled storage facility for me for a few months, but sadly he needed the space so I had to move the car to a self storage container in January where it sits now. I checked on it recently. I did the best I could preparing the space but strong winter winds blew sand dust through the loose fitting, roll up door and the car is thickly covered with it. I can't stand it.

In a few weeks I will move it here to its new, temp controlled and essentially antiseptic environment. I will VERY carefully foam the car to lift off what doesn't blow off during the move and then spend several days detailing it.

Kathy and I will be at the national POCI show at the Mohegan Sun in July. I signed up to get judged in the modified class. If any of you are there be sure to stop by and say hello.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hi Dan
I can say this with all sincerity. There is nothing better. The feeling I get sitting in this beautiful machine knowing there is close to 1000 hp under my right foot is thrilling. The sound of the motor is pure music to my ears.

As mentioned my wife and I are building a house in NH. It has been a long, two year process but we are about three weeks from finishing it and moving in. We sold our old home six months ago so a close car-buddy friend of mine took my car into his temp controlled storage facility for me for a few months, but sadly he needed the space so I had to move the car to a self storage container in January where it sits now. I checked on it recently. I did the best I could preparing the space but strong winter winds blew sand dust through the loose fitting, roll up door and the car is thickly covered with it. I can't stand it.

In a few weeks I will move it here to its new, temp controlled and essentially antiseptic environment. I will VERY carefully foam the car to lift off what doesn't blow off during the move and then spend several days detailing it.

Kathy and I will be at the national POCI show at the Mohegan Sun in July. I signed up to get judged in the modified class. If any of you are there be sure to stop by and say hello.
Good to hear from you, good luck at the show, Like you'll need it lol.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts