Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
What a mess. I find it hard to believe that Michelin didn't realize they would have problems there, and that the FIA wouldn't give them latitude to change the track to slow them down in that corner. The people who lost out the most were the fans, many of whom I'm sure spent $$ to get there.

I was so happy to see F1 come back to the U.S., now I'm afraid it will not be welcome...

·
Super Moderator
2,639 Posts
Subdriver said:
What a mess. I find it hard to believe that Michelin didn't realize they would have problems there, and that the FIA wouldn't give them latitude to change the track to slow them down in that corner. The people who lost out the most were the fans, many of whom I'm sure spent $$ to get there.

I was so happy to see F1 come back to the U.S., now I'm afraid it will not be welcome...
Personally, I'm glad the FIA didn't put a chicane at turn 13. If Bridgestone was prepared and brought the right tires and Michelin didn't well that's Michelins problem not the FIA. How do you think the Bridgestone shod teams would have felt if the FIA would have catered to Michelin by altering the track after Michelin screwed up? Besides, the team principles made the decision for their team drivers not to race, not the FIA. David Coulthard was adamant about staying in the race but his team decided NO! And from what I saw from the practice sessions, only Toyota's tires failed. And Trulli's tire failed in the infield not through turn 13. So changing turn 13 would not have minimized the amount of Michelin failures. Maybe they were more concerned with turn 13 due to the higher speeds and what happened to Ralf Schumacher. But like you, I hope that this haven't ruined next year's race. And I truly hate that the fans spent their cash for something like that because until the cars went to pit lane before the race they had know idea that only 6 cars were going to race.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Politics in F1 is as much a part of that form of racing as whining is in NASCAR.

Pity it had to happen at Indy...that's all open-wheel racing in the country needs-- another kick in the nuts.

·
Registered
364 Posts
After watching Wind Tunnel last night and reading several articles on this today, I am now more of the opinion that Michelin is heavily to blame for this. Won't be buying any Michelin's any time soon...

Still very sad to see the whole thing play out this way. Is F1 in the U.S. dead now? I certainly hope not, but it is going to take a huge effort by Bernia and the FIA and likely Michelin to make this right with the U.S. fans.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Subdriver said:
Still very sad to see the whole thing play out this way. Is F1 in the U.S. dead now? I certainly hope not, but it is going to take a huge effort by Bernia and the FIA and likely Michelin to make this right with the U.S. fans.
How about a second USGP...I vote Long Beach! :party:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Groucho said:
How about a second USGP...I vote Long Beach! :party:
I grew up in the SF Bay Area and went to the Long Beach Grand Prix every year it was really a Grand Prix. I would love to see that return. Nothing against Champ car, but I'm still a little bitter about the IRL/CART split...

Open wheel racing... what a mess. :eek:

·
Registered
364 Posts
silvergoat05 said:
Thats funny, I lived in Arlington until I was 11, then moved to the SF bay area, Concord to be exact.
Small world. I lived right on the other side of the tunnel in Oakland. Only here in Arlington for a three month pit stop, then I'm off to two months of training in the Pacific, a couple weeks here and there, and in October I'll report to my next duty station in the Puget Sound. It'll be good to be back on the west coast. :cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts