Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Installation costs

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  JMJ80 
#1 ·
I think I may have my other car sold tommorow, which means I am going to be buying some parts for the Goat. I am on a budget though so I need to know,

how much should I expect to pay in labor for headers/catback installation?
and
how much in labor for shocks/struts/springs?

G
#3 ·
BEWARE: most of these cars new have a 3800 mile/3 year warrenty.. changing the springs..CAGs skip shift eliminator... ect ect will void the warrenty...Contact your dealer for more information..

this post is just FYI..

I allmost voided my warrenty with dropping my suspention on... then I found out one of my headlights started a small cracking heat bubble {defect}... since I didnt mod the car much I got a free headlight.. but I can imagine how much a new headlight housing would have costed ...

Used GTOs .. you will have to check with the salesperson on a limited warrenty before modding your vehicle... :willy: :party:

"second place is the first loser"

G
#4 ·
You may find it hard to find someone to install your stuff. I know that most garages shy away from any performance mods, especially when your bringing your own parts.

Before buying, you may want to check a couple performance shops. I'd ask if they have worked on GTO's before and ask for references if you don't know the place.

Just my 2 cents

#5 ·
If you want to save some money I say do the header install yourself
I helped my buddy and his cuzin install LT's on his cuzzins GOAT
there was a good amount of room to slide them in
I've got my Dynatech Supermaxx LT's Layin in the garage waiting to be installed

#6 ·
Vedli said:
BEWARE: most of these cars new have a 3800 mile/3 year warrenty.. changing the springs..CAGs skip shift eliminator... ect ect will void the warrenty...Contact your dealer for more information..

this post is just FYI..

I allmost voided my warrenty with dropping my suspention on... then I found out one of my headlights started a small cracking heat bubble {defect}... since I didnt mod the car much I got a free headlight.. but I can imagine how much a new headlight housing would have costed ...

Used GTOs .. you will have to check with the salesperson on a limited warrenty before modding your vehicle... :willy: :party:

"second place is the first loser"
Not exactly true....... if you mod the suspension and you have a headlight that is defective it is illegal for your dealership to void your warranty. The harshest thing they could do is void your warranty on the suspension... which you just upgraded anyway....

G
#7 ·
true, thats what SEMA is there for. to make sure manufacturers dont fuk you over when you change something. Thats like saying window tint caused my power seat to fail because it wasnt heated properly by the sun. lol

G
#8 ·
GTODEALER said:
Not exactly true....... if you mod the suspension and you have a headlight that is defective it is illegal for your dealership to void your warranty. The harshest thing they could do is void your warranty on the suspension... which you just upgraded anyway....
thats not what Tom at my dealership says.. he even told me of a case where a guy dropped on full suspention on his grandprix and didnt tell anyone .. when he went in for servicing the mechanic saw the mod and took the car off the lift .. he never got serviced again with that mod installed...

IF it is against the law .. maybe I can ask you to call my dealer .. and tell him whats up .. cus I think its pretty bull aswell... if you mod the suspention it should only void the suspention warrenty...
any thoughts??... :willy: :party:

#10 ·
I have also heard that most bolt-ons only voided the warranty on that specific part, but perhaps its just particular to the dealership?
It would definitley suck if I had them throw that curveball at me. I did decide to take it in to try and get my rear end replaced, its so damn loud.

While we were on the subject of headers though...I am about to order some...and I need a good setup for street/drag use. I want to use the Borla catback. Any suggestions?

#11 ·
I'll be more than happy to talk to them, most dealerships are ignorant when it comes to aftermarket parts. A lot of dealerships panic when they see these type of parts and they just tell you "that voided your warranty". I ran into this problem on a Focus I drove, the tranny grenaded with 11k miles on it and they kept the car for two weeks, I get a phone call saying that because the car was lowered the trannys warranty was void! I went up there and argued with the service director, I picked my car up and called the local news station. After one visit, they "mysteriously" just read about this and they were more than willing to repair my car.... jackasses!

G
#14 ·
so THATS how it works.... I actually had my LS1 throw a main bearing due to the oil pump failure typical in 98 f-bodies. I took it in but forgot to take the drag radials off and they denied me. Something about having too much rubber in the wheelwells and they said racing was what blew my motor. The car had 37,200 miles on it. 1200 out of warranty and they wanted $10,000 for a new motor, $1800 to install it, and another $500 or so for shop fees. All said and done, about $13,000 !!! I called up MTI and they gave me a price of $3200 for a stock rebuild with a cam. :D

#15 ·
GTODEALER said:
I'll be more than happy to talk to them, most dealerships are ignorant when it comes to aftermarket parts. A lot of dealerships panic when they see these type of parts and they just tell you "that voided your warranty". I ran into this problem on a Focus I drove, the tranny grenaded with 11k miles on it and they kept the car for two weeks, I get a phone call saying that because the car was lowered the trannys warranty was void! I went up there and argued with the service director, I picked my car up and called the local news station. After one visit, they "mysteriously" just read about this and they were more than willing to repair my car.... jackasses!
you the man, i might hold you to that, that would qualify you as my primary supplier :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.