Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I want to change the instrument cluster in my 70 GTO. Should i take out the dash pad or not? And how to do it?

Thoughts

·
Registered
625 Posts
yup

yur

pullin the pad ...........to do that swap

I have done several 69's and a couple 70's ....

droppin the column

pullin the seats and the outer belts ... unless you like sittin on the seat belt housing

and a good time to do the heater core ,,,,clean all the vents and ductwork...

and have the clock rebuilt ... lube the heater control and cables ...

and hang a couple courtesy lights ... put in a NEW lighter housing ...

a new bulb in the radio and heater switch ...

and polish the gauge lens ... lube the speedometer cable ,,,

clean the fuse block contacts .... add a new speaker ,,,, put in a glove box light

and a little detail work ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
BLK69JUDGE speaks the truth. The dash pad assembly has to come out of the car.

I had to take our Goat's dash pad/cluster out to correct a lot of mistakes created by a previous owner.
Removing the front seat(s) is one of the best first steps you can take. It will make accessing the underside the dash a lot easier.
As long you have the dash out of the car, there's no better time to go through the heater box, cables, etc, etc.
The gauge cluster is attached to the dash pad and its hard to handle by yourself so get someone to help you when you're ready to take it out of your car and set it on your work bench.
It may sound a little overwhelming but if you bag and tag where the screws were taken from, write down what you do as you do it and work slowly, you'll do fine.
Plus you'll get a huge feeling of satisfaction when you put it all back together, turn the key and your gauge cluster comes back to life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts