Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
I run my mechanical temperature gauge sender there, or the other side. They usually had a thermal switch that opened vacuum to something once the engine warmed, or close it off after a certain temp was reached. On a 68/69 it might have been the heat riser door in the air filter housing, those flaps in the snorkel would open and close to allow heated air from the exhaust to warm the intake to help with cold weather drivability. Later engines used those for part of the EGR system. I have a couple of those plugs in the shop and a bare intake I just had cooked, if I remember I will measure the hole so you can plug it with a pipe plug if you want.

·
Registered
704 Posts
pipe plug, but if yours is tight and not leaking, have seen the threads pull out when old fitting is removed. Based on the water neck corrosion, I would not mess with it or be prepared if necessary to pull intake off for it to be fixed properly.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too late, it's allready out, I just don't want to put that scraggley thing back on there. I just wanted to know what that thing used to do and what the size was.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts