Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I am changing the interior color of my 67 Le Mans from Turquoise to black to go along with the new interior that I bought. I have run into a snag. Around where I live, there are very few options to buy paint, I went into the two places yesterday to give them the Lucite paint number for the interior color which would be 88L Star Light Black with 60% gloss. Well one of them IS a DuPont dealer and right off the bat said that number is no good. I had looked it up on the "Old Ride" web site as the interior color, I looked it up in the GTO restoration manual as the interior color that was used. I even gave him the Ditzler cross number DL-9248 and he said that number was no good. So I went to the other place, with the same results, only this place had the old paint chip books, but it did not show the interior color, AND they did not have the formula, so they could not mix the paint anyways! He said he did have a Hi gloss, med gloss, or a low gloss black, but it costs $114 a quart!!!!! GEEESH! WHY SAVE THE OLD BOOKS IF YOU DIDN'T SAVE THE FORMULAS?????
My question for the forum, Is there a place online that can mix THE CORRECT 60% GLOSS BLACK for the interior and dash board for this car? These constant obstacles are getting to be ridiculous.
Thanks
Rusty in NC :banghead:

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Rusty, not sure how to solve your paint problem, but don't have the top of your dash painted with high gloss black. The sun light reflection from the dash up by the window will cause you problems with vision. I would not call it dangerous, but it is very annoying. Matt

·
Registered
711 Posts
Take a look at SEM brand products. Trim Black for GM, is the right sheen for the seat backs and lower shrouds. They have other sheens for the dash and tops of the doors. Yes, it's a rattle can, but it's about the best paint you can buy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Matt
I know that the part of the dash right by the glass is supposed to be Lucite code # 4428L which was a flat black, and the rest of the dash was the 60% gloss. But I do appreciate the heads up though.
Rusty in NC

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chuckha62
I am not adverse to the rattle can route, I did a search for SEM products and it says that O'Rielly's carry's them, and I do have one of those in town here. I bought some trunk paint there when I ran short spraying my trunk. I think this may be the best way to go as I do have to paint the seat backs, kick panels, etc, along with the door tops, and dash board. Thank you for this suggestion.
Rusty in NC

·
Registered
711 Posts
As you know, the finished product will be as much a result of the prep process, as the finished paint brand. Make sure you're sanded and prepped absolutely correct and then, clean and mask to ensure a finished product as good as GM would have produced (or better). My seat backs and lower shrouds look easily as good as they did coming from GM. Take your time and I think you'll be happy with the finished product.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you happened to do your interior in black, you would not remember the paint numbers you used do you? I went to the SEM site and looked for trim paint. Although I could not find anything year specific, they did have a gloss black trim paint. I am assuming this is what you used? Or do they have a "GM" specific black trim paint.
I saw two types of trim black. One said just "Trim black", which I would assume to be flat black, for exterior #39143.
And the other was "Gloss Trim Black" it too listed as exterior, #39068.
Both come as rattle cans or quarts or gallons.
I looked on the spec sheet but it does not say anything about how much gloss it has. So I was wondering if this is the stuff you may have used?
Rusty in NC

·
Registered
711 Posts
My interior is already black. I only did the seat backs and surrounds so far. The rest is in very good original condition. I do need to do the tops of the doors one of these days but haven't gotten as far as matching up paint just yet.

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
Tiger13,

On my 66 I used the Sherwin Williams Dimension Product, they have a flattener that you can add to their correct paint color. The end result was perfect.

Good luck,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts