Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wiring up my '65 GTO over the last few weeks. I've made pretty good progress, but have a couple questions about the path some wires take.

For the center console, I have all the original parts, including the wire harness. The restoration manual and chassis manual give a general overview of the wire's path, but I still can't make out the exact path. The old harness still has the clips, but there are no holes in either the console or the floor pan to secure them. If anyone has any photos of how the harness sits under the console, that would be greatly appreciated.

My second concern is the dome light wire path. From what I can discern, it enters into the space between the roof and support structure on the driver's side. It then proceeds down between the sail panel frame and outer panel sheet metal. I can't quite make out where it transitions into the trunk or how it's secured between the sail panels. Again, any photos of the trunk routing and sail panels would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my progress so far.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here is a picture of my original dome wiring (65 GTO). Hope this helps.
I've been wiring up my '65 GTO over the last few weeks. I've made pretty good progress, but have a couple questions about the path some wires take.

For the center console, I have all the original parts, including the wire harness. The restoration manual and chassis manual give a general overview of the wire's path, but I still can't make out the exact path. The old harness still has the clips, but there are no holes in either the console or the floor pan to secure them. If anyone has any photos of how the harness sits under the console, that would be greatly appreciated.

My second concern is the dome light wire path. From what I can discern, it enters into the space between the roof and support structure on the driver's side. It then proceeds down between the sail panel frame and outer panel sheet metal. I can't quite make out where it transitions into the trunk or how it's secured between the sail panels. Again, any photos of the trunk routing and sail panels would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my progress so far.
View attachment 139661

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, anyone have a pic of the console harness route?

·
Registered
121 Posts
That's perfect. Do you have a shot of where the cable enters/exits the body behind the rear seat?
Just took these shots of wiring you requested behind rear seat.

Sorry, but I don’t have any photos of the console wiring. I removed all my old dash and engine wiring and replaced it with a new kit from American Autowire. In the process of removing the seats, console, carpeting etc. I did not pay attention to the console wiring routing details. Must have struck me as fairly straightforward at the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s perfect. Thanks! I ended up getting talked into a Painless harness. It’s been pretty straight forward so far. I went with the 25 circuit harness to leave options for expansion. I have 99% of the original harness in a box. My dad took it apart 35 years ago and didn’t do a great job of documenting anything.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That’s perfect. Thanks! I ended up getting talked into a Painless harness. It’s been pretty straight forward so far. I went with the 25 circuit harness to leave options for expansion. I have 99% of the original harness in a box. My dad took it apart 35 years ago and didn’t do a great job of documenting anything.
Painless was my second choice. American Autowire sounded vehicle specific and needing less guess work. Blaming the dad gets you two demerits. I have seen wise advice often on this forum to label parts and take tons of “Before” photos. Give your dad kudos for keeping the car, get back to work and good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll keep blaming my dad for everything ;)
My mom bought the car for him in 1985. He took it apart and left it alone until I borrowed a roll back and stole it out of his garage in 2008. My FIL patched all the body work and painted it. Dad did pay for all that, though. Then it sat for another 9 years before I convinced him to give it up.
he did save most of the parts. The masking tape labels and plastic bags didn’t survive the 35 years in attic storage though. It’s still fun to work on and most of my blaming him is all in good fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, here’s some of my FIL’s work before his health started to go downhill.
13886CB0-9E95-43F4-8535-5AC69828B022.jpeg
602B2442-427D-4660-AA05-B38C1A6D60E6.jpeg
78071D42-BAA7-422B-93E0-F57A6040D81C.jpeg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looking back at your first picture, I like the look of your dash. Did you add that? If so, where did you get it and how did you like the fit/finish?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts