Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i had a major brain fart and left out my intermediate oil pump shaft, and already installed notor trans in car.with that said has anyone ever ground off the nubs on the shaft and installed it from the top.??

Id hate to have to pull the motor out again..

Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do a search on this forum for something like oil pump shaft. There is a fairly recent comprehensive post about a similar problem.

The same thing happened to me when I built my first Pontiac engine. I ground off the nubs and inserted the shaft from the top. Do it slowly and make sure the intermediate shaft is seated on the oil pump driven gear shaft. However problems may arise if you have to remove the distributor. The intermediate shaft may stick to the distributor then fall off into the engine.

On my 64 I was able jack up the engine and loosen the oil pan. This gave me enough clearance to unbolt the oil pump and install the new shaft.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Do a search on this forum for something like oil pump shaft. There is a fairly recent comprehensive post about a similar problem.

The same thing happened to me when I built my first Pontiac engine. I ground off the nubs and inserted the shaft from the top. Do it slowly and make sure the intermediate shaft is seated on the oil pump driven gear shaft. However problems may arise if you have to remove the distributor. The intermediate shaft may stick to the distributor then fall off into the engine.

On my 64 I was able jack up the engine and loosen the oil pan. This gave me enough clearance to unbolt the oil pump and install the new shaft.
Pete McCarthy a well known Pontiac racer (now retired) has written several books on building Pontiacs--he says its perfectly fine to do as Shader says to grind off the nubs and insert from the the top.

Best of luck.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts