Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I was GTO owner only once, in 81/82. I bought a 70 Judge out of a garage in Worcester, MA for $150. It was in original paint, a little rusted out, no trans, no brakes, and had some sidepipes mounted off headers. Being young and foolish I got it to the point of running on a junk yard trans, standard exhaust, and drove it for one summer. Foolishly I sold the car and miss it still.

I have owned several classics, currently getting to know a 70 Corvette and going through the judgung process.

I've recently begun toying with the idea of a 70 GTO as a daily driver. Looking for advice on an ebay listing. Is it cool to post this here? I would think you guys would be very helpful in getting some initial feedback.
Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Nice car. I would use it as a daily driver........... if I lived in Arizona. Too nice for any area that has seasonal changes that include snow or lots of rain.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I've been watching that car. Not bad. I would drive it in good weather with extreme caution. I would not use it as a DD though.

Some of my reasons;

Up keep being the main reason. Those parts won't have the longevity. Some of those parts may be special order parts anymore and you could encounter down time as 40 year old parts wear out.
Someone running into it.
Fuel Consumption.

If the above is no issue then go for it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK good advice... partly what I am looking for.

"too nice": good.

How about some criticism of the car... to the extent it has been restored, does it look well done? What caution areas would you look for? Is $19k too high to pay for this model?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
The Gold 70 is a nice car. Sounds like he has already done all the restorative work to the drive train and suspension to make it a daily driver. I'm a little surprised the bidding ended at only 6+k but these cars aren't in big demand now. I would think you could maybe get it for 15k, I'd drive it for that.......:cheers

The Orange ones for $69,000 really are in orbit. They'll have them till the economy recovers at that price. The bidding stopped at 30k and in my opinion is about right....maybe 35k, but you won't get either of them for that.

·
Registered
465 Posts
man, you're really looking for a sweet daily driver with those two judges! If I had the money you seem to, and was in the market, I'd get a cloned resto mod, that would be a little more reliable. But that is just my taste.
Maybe something along these lines:
eBay Motors: Pontiac : GTO (item 260328062571 end time Dec-16-08 09:00:12 PST)
To critique those two $69k cars, there isn't much, they are pretty nice.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I have never had reliability issues with GTO's as long as I didn't abuse them. I've blown trannys, rear ends, and motors, while racing, etc. Just driving the cars, though, as I have for the past 30 years, i have found them to be extremely reliable. They are basic, well- engineered and constructed cars, and if driven with respect and well maintained, they make excellent (if thirsty) daily drivers. If you can afford a '70 that's really nice for say, 15-60k, you can buy it and enjoy it, as it holds or increases in value. OR, you could buy a Cadillac Escalade, or a Ford Mustang, or a Lexus for the same price, pay mega bucks to register it, and watch it rapidly depreciate into nothing. I made my choice 30 years ago!!! You only live once....if you can afford to, and are inclined to, ENJOY IT!!!
Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts