Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried search without luck. Looking at 65 GTO that has VIN starting 237. Have not seen any documentation yet and I'm not certain I'd know if it was authentic or what to look for. Would the entire VIN help? What do I look for? Is it easy to mistake a GTO for a Tempest excepting the engine and emblems, etc? I've googled and I've seen should be 242 VIN and I've seen can be 237 for Tempest or GTO. Thanks for any replies and help.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
The only way to find out for sure is to send the VIN into PHS and get the documentation. In '65, the GTO(code 382) was an option on a LeMans. So a vin starting with 237 is correct for a LeMans. There were no 242 vins in '65. 242 started in '66.

Here's their link:

http://www.phs-online.com/

Cost is $65. Or, if you want it faster, they will fax the info to you for another $15.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Something quick to look for, check the data plate. If it has a 5N on the lower part of the plate that would be an indication it's a GTO. Still get the PHS doc tho.

Assembly plants Pontiac, MI(PON) and Kansas City, MO(KC or KAN) used the GTO group option code 5N. Baltimore, MD(BAL) and Fremont, CA(BF) did not. Assmebly plant designations are located on the data plate to the left of "Body".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts