Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a listing for sale on another website of a proposed PHS documented 1965 GTO. There is a photo of the firewall data plate. My humble understanding is that the number and letter "5N" designating the GTO option would be on the "ACC" line. The plate in the listing only shows 5 numbers in succession and no letters. How does one reconcile the lack of a 5N and supposed PHS documentation? Did a different plant stamp something else in lieu of the 5N, or may this be a suspect listing?

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
The 5N was only used to identify the GTO option at the Kansas City and Pontiac plants, Baltimore and Fremont used a different coding systems. From the PHS docs verify the car has the options and engine codes as listed on the PHS and make sure the date codes proceed the data plate build date. Also verify the vin number matches your car and the tags have not been tampered with.

·
Registered
727 Posts
This isn't an answer to your question, but I believe it IS pertinent to the issue.

I strongly suggest you get your own copy of the PHS documents for any early GTO.
There are phony/modified PHS sheets out there.

I'd spend the $$ to get the documents directly from PHS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts