Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or does Pontiac just really don't give a damn about GTO's? I have seen about six Pontiac commercials today and no GTO. It seems like it's all about the Torrent, G6, and Solstice. How can you expect to have good sales with no advertising? Ok...I'm through bitching.

G

·
That's do to the 2005 cars not being delivered anymore, and the 2006 not being available yet. Wait until January when the 06's should start to show up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I love this car.....but
Im beginning to think you are right, GM doesnt give a rats a$$.
Seems to me it was always a done deal...3 year run and out.
Also..its really not exactly a true GM vehicle.
Kinda makes you feel like the red headed step child. :lol:
Almost as if they are jealous of the excellent build quality of this veh...needless to say, its much better than anything GM builds.
Ever notice Australia is never mentioned.
Kinda makes me wonder if GM would have advertised the GTO as Aussie built....that it may have sold much better.
Things that make you go...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
These cars don't need much advertising, when ya wanna performance car ya don't have as many choices as 4 door sedans or ricers, all ya really have is the GTO, Corvette, Mustang and Charger so just pick ya price range and roll, and plus with the limited number on the GTOs they know there gonna sell them all....just a thought though

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've seen a GTO/G6 commercial the other day. In fact, it's on my DVR for one of the shows I recorded.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
You don't spend money advertising a car you're not going to make money on.

What makes money for the automobile manufacturers? Trucks and SUVs by a mile -- then passenger cars. And of the passenger cars sold, the vast majority are sedans like Accords, Camrys, Taurus/Fusions, etc. Sales of any kind of coupe are a tiny percentage of overall car sales -- and performance coupe sales are a smaller fraction still.

Look at Ford. The Mustang is a runaway hit with six figure sales. Yet only a small percentage of those cars being sold have V8s. Even though that car is selling extremely well -- Ford still sells eight times as many F-150s as Mustangs -- with better margins.

To film a television spot on the cheap is $250,000. Air time? Even a spot on some obscure network like Speed is probably $25,000 per airing. If GM's gross income on every GTO they move is $1000 -- and I really doubt they're making that because the units sold is so small -- they're going to have to sell 250 GTOs to cover the cost of the ad and 25 every time that spot appears. And since you need to run a spot for a month or two to generate any kind of awareness -- the media costs add up fast.

The real failure with the GTO was GMNA's positioning of it. Instead of selling it as an Australian built alternative to BMW and Mercedes coupes, a powerful, well-built, great handling car, they sold it as a muscle car by showing pictures of smoky burnouts. That turns off sophisticated buyers in their 40's (the GTO's intended target audience) while bringing 18 year olds into dealerships -- who look at the $30,000 plus sticker, leave, then wind up in a square Scion with a fart-can exhaust.

It is absolutely amazing that this product sold out in Australia, the Middle East and the UK at double the price for years -- yet, due to GMNA's idiotic marketing, it can't be given away in the United States.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:

What makes money for the automobile manufacturers? Trucks and SUVs by a mile -- then passenger cars. And of the passenger cars sold, the vast majority are sedans like Accords, Camrys, Taurus/Fusions, etc. Sales of any kind of coupe are a tiny percentage of overall car sales -- and performance coupe sales are a smaller fraction still.

Look at Ford. The Mustang is a runaway hit with six figure sales. Yet only a small percentage of those cars being sold have V8s. Even though that car is selling extremely well -- Ford still sells eight times as many F-150s as Mustangs -- with better margins.

To film a television spot on the cheap is $250,000. Air time? Even a spot on some obscure network like Speed is probably $25,000 per airing. If GM's gross income on every GTO they move is $1000 -- and I really doubt they're making that because the units sold is so small -- they're going to have to sell 250 GTOs to cover the cost of the ad and 25 every time that spot appears. And since you need to run a spot for a month or two to generate any kind of awareness -- the media costs add up fast.

The real failure with the GTO was GMNA's positioning of it. Instead of selling it as an Australian built alternative to BMW and Mercedes coupes, a powerful, well-built, great handling car, they sold it as a muscle car by showing pictures of smoky burnouts. That turns off sophisticated buyers in their 40's (the GTO's intended target audience) while bringing 18 year olds into dealerships -- who look at the $30,000 plus sticker, leave, then wind up in a square Scion with a fart-can exhaust.

It is absolutely amazing that this product sold out in Australia, the Middle East and the UK at double the price for years -- yet, due to GMNA's idiotic marketing, it can't be given away in the United States.
:agree .... I don't think I could have said it better myself.

·
Registered
937 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:

Not that I'm complaining. I couldnt have afforded the car at much more than what it stickered for. I am enjoying their marketing mistake.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
b_a_betterperson said:

You make some great points. I never have thought about it like that. I would just like to see more advertising though, if it's in commericals or magazine ads. But I guess it's a little to late now.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Phantom05 said:
Thats where your wrong...its not a true Pontiac...Holden is a GM subsidary...GM owns it.
But the rest of your post is correct, it does have very superior build quality and I love mine also! :cheers
Hmmmm.............is the Monaro a GM design?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Actually it's kinda like this GM owns Opel/Vaxuall who owns Holden that makes the Monaro. Then GM rebadges it and imports it to the US from down under! :confused
Designed in Europe, assembled in Australia, with an American built powertrain :eek: It's a bloody wonder it even runs but it does! :party:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I stand corrected.
I was under the impression GM bought/owned these companies....but thought at 1 time they stood on their own and were just bought up by the the big GM conglomo corporate machine.
Learn sumpin new every day. :cheers

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
I've been saying that since I bought my Holden (I was of the BMW contingent)...but I think rebadging the Monaro as the "Pontiac GTO", it appealed to mulletheads who still mourned over their lost POS F-Bodies more than the ricer crowd.

Route 66 said:
I was under the impression GM bought/owned these companies....but thought at 1 time they stood on their own and were just bought up by the the big GM conglomo corporate machine.
Learn sumpin new every day.
Holden has been a long-time GM division, but they enjoy a much greater degree of autonomy than their domestic counterparts...or even SAAB. The best things about the Holden Monaro are a result of that freedom from Detroit's Mastery of Mediocrity.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
Not that I'm complaining. I couldnt have afforded the car at much more than what it stickered for. I am enjoying their marketing mistake.
The price, even at sticker, is a real steal. It's just too bad GM blew as this car is so good. You could bet your boots that if this car was flying out the showroom doors that the media wouldn't be bashing its looks so much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.