Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting my engine back together and went to adjust the rockers and noticed the push rods can be pushed in about a half inch, just with some light pressure by hand, as if their on springs. They spring right back when released. I used comp cam hydraulic lifters. When I rotate the engine the valves all open and close so I know the rods are sitting on the lifters. Is it normal for them to spring like that? If it is how do I adjust the rockers?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Wild guess on this one. Did you install them dry? They simply might not have any oil inside of the lifters. I typically submerge each lifter in oil and them place a pushrod into the cup and pump it a few times to get oil inside. I would think this would build some resistance and you would not get what you are experiencing. I also do a fine adjust of them while the engine is running IF you are using the locking type aftermarket rocker arm nuts.

However, I did find this thread that details installing the lifters "dry" and it seems to be an approved method as well. adjusting hydraulic lifters with no oil? [Archive] - NastyZ28.com

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wild guess on this one. Did you install them dry? They simply might not have any oil inside of the lifters. I typically submerge each lifter in oil and them place a pushrod into the cup and pump it a few times to get oil inside. I would think this would build some resistance and you would not get what you are experiencing. I also do a fine adjust of them while the engine is running IF you are using the locking type aftermarket rocker arm nuts.

However, I did find this thread that details installing the lifters "dry" and it seems to be an approved method as well. adjusting hydraulic lifters with no oil? [Archive] - NastyZ28.com
This is exactly what it is. Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts