Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Depends on your definition of quick. I personally was highly disappointed with the power of my 05 stock, but I was told that on cool days they run much stronger- the tune is pretty rich on the cars stock, so that would explain it. People compare to mustangs all the time and say the GTO is faster, etc.- yes, it is- but I have seen several stangs run very good times with minimal mods vs. very few GTO's run strong (although there are a lot out there that do). I think the GTO is a much better built car and has gobs of potential, but for me personally, I felt it left a lot to be desired in stock form. I have since installed a procharger and some other minor tweaks and just put down 547 hp and 456 tq. to the wheels monday night- through stock manifolds, cats, etc.- so it is much better now :). Still gets beat by some of the imports around here though haha. Weight and IRS kicks the GTO's ass when it comes to the 1/4 mile, but it makes a great road car- handling is decent for it's weight, top speed is impressive and they are nice and smooth to drive.
Joe

·
Registered
569 Posts
If you have the software and knowhow- it is just a couple clicks of the mouse. If not, then just get it tuned by any of the reputable shops out there and you'll be good or pick up a handheld programmer (last resort IMHO).
Joe

·
Registered
569 Posts
If you know what you are doing, it is fairly easy to extract power out of t a turbo 4. not to mention, you are working with a lighter car so it doesn't take as m uch. My car did 546 to the wheels and gets walked by a ~450 whp Integra from a 2nd gear roll. I start to pull on him up around 120ish.
Joe

·
Registered
60 Posts
When you're talking about "is the GTO quick" as compared to another car, isn't it pointless to talk stock GTO versus modded whatever? To say that a heavily modified ricer would beat a stock GTO says nothing about anything. If you were talking heavily modified GTO versus modified ricer, then you have something. Something tells me that if I dumped the $5,000 that Johnny Honda dumped into his rice rocket into my GTO, there's nothing to talk about.

Who asks if a 400hp beast is quick, really?

1 - 20 of 160 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.