Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't found a local deal in a while, so I decided to look outside my local state. I found 2 vehicle in Texas for a decent amount. I called Jesse James Austin Speed Shop and they said that they would inspect the car for me for $90 an hr.It will take about 2 to 3 hours. The other car is in Dallas; which is where Gas Monkey Garage is at. I was thinking maybe I could pay either Austin Speed shop or Gas Monkey to inspect it and ship it for me. I know the will inspect the vehicle for me, but I don't know if they will ship them for me. Do you all think this will work?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Where exactly are you located PS, a lot of us watch the various boards for cars and would be happy to direct you towards some decent looking cars in or around your area. Also members have been known to view cars for other members in their area. As far as shipping check online there are boards you can post on and you will get bids (just like shipping wars) and can pick a carrier and the best bid. I had the Tempest shipped from Idaho to Michigan by open car carrier and i believe it ran around 900.00. We also have a craigslist/e-bay cars for sale thread that we list interesting sales on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I live in Memphis Tennesse. How did you pay the person? Since I thought I was going to be able to get the one in Orlando through my buddy I ended up spending some of my car money on a family vacation. My budget is $5 to $5500 and that's including shipping. I'm looking for a 67 to 71 Lemans that's running. Stuff like this has been popping up on Memphis craigslist. They are asking to much.
http://memphis.craigslist.org/bar/3614517682.html

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
You know that Tenn/kentucky cars are some of the most solid in America, and not burnt up like the AZ/Texas cars. We should be coming to you to get cars. Expand your search in you immediate area, be patient, and you should get a good car reasonable. Or go Chevelle, they are 1/4 the money to restore compared to a GTO. The car in your link is a smoking good deal as long as the body is solid, new motor.. If you buy a car with no paint job or bad paint job, it's the same thing, you are going to repaint it anyway, better to see what's up then what is burried under bondo.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
you pay them when they drop your car and you inspect it, think had to put 100 deposit. The Gold one in Kentucky is an honest car, if you don't mind the straight 6. They are out there need to be preparred with money in hand if a true deal comes up, and contact ASAP. Search Tempest and similar sights have search updates e-mailed if you set it up so you see new listings as soon as they get posted. Wait, save and watch deals are out there the market is low.

1966 Pontiac LeMans for sale | Hemmings Motor News

1969 Pontiac LeMans for sale | Hemmings Motor News

1968 Pontiac LeMans 2 Door Hardtop for sale | Hemmings Motor News

Pontiac : Le Mans Sport 350 in Pontiac | eBay Motors

Pontiac : Tempest Lemans/Gto in Pontiac | eBay Motors

Pontiac : Tempest 2 Door in Pontiac | eBay Motors

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What shipping company was that? If you don't like what you see then what happens? I have been watching the one in Kentucky. Was there a picture with the second link? Nothing is coming up on mu computer.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
you need to have the seller or someone take pics of the entire car in case theres damage during shipping but a car in your price range is gonna have scratches and dings anyways so it would be hard to prove anything other than gross negligence. You must pay the seller first for him to release it to carrier, if you don't pay carrier he will just keep the car until you do or drop it from the top bunk of his truck...;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you know the person seller the vehicle? What made you trust giving the guy your money to release it to the carrier? The shipping company I called told me it could be up to 7 days before the can pick up the vehicle; whihech means the seller would have my money for a week before the car could be picked and a lot could happen in a week.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Maybe... I'm not going to have any free time until possibly Sunday afternoon, if then.
Send me what you've got and I'll see what I might be able to work out.

Bear

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Did you know the person seller the vehicle? What made you trust giving the guy your money to release it to the carrier? The shipping company I called told me it could be up to 7 days before they can pick up the vehicle; which means the seller would have my money for a week before the car could be picked and a lot could happen in a week.
This process involves a lot of trust. I've bought 4 vehicles sight-unseen and had shipped to me. A few I wish I hadn't and 2 more I went to pick up in person and refused to close the deal because they were much worse than described. Finding a person on here that is close to a car your interested in and having them put eyes on it and send you pics is the next best thing to being there yourself. Paying an inspection company hundreds of dollars takes a painful bite out of the restoration budget and if they were willing to set up the shipping, they would charge for that time too.

As for shipping, I went thru a transport broker who put the deal out for bids. Once I had several bids, I chose which one I wanted and with uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves you can post what you are willing to pay and wait for someone to take it, or barter with you. Yes, it can take as much as 2 weeks to actually get the car to your door and it is a bit nerve wracking. If you are uncomfortable with the seller having your money while you wait, look close to home, inspect the car yourself and rent a u-haul trailer to transport it once you close the deal.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
$(KGrHqN,!oUFE(nv20zNBRKUNgktmQ~~60_3.jpg

This car in KY is very solid and original. If you could get that for under 5k, you would have a very nice driver to start with.

Memphis to Paducah is less than 200 miles......that's about as close to your backyard as it gets for a nice car. If the bid stays below 5k, I would be in his driveway Saturday morning and see if you could close a deal on the spot. 2 years ago I drove from MN to Pagosa Springs CO to bring back a truck on my trailer...3,200 miles round trip. Last fall I drove to Knoxville TN for a '38 Chev that I left there because of a deceptive description. 2800 miles and $800 in expenses for nothing. 200 miles is just getting the engine warmed up...;) Ya gotta be willing to do what it takes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
View attachment 16963

This car in KY is very solid and original. If you could get that for under 5k, you would have a very nice driver to start with.

Memphis to Paducah is less than 200 miles......that's about as close to your backyard as it gets for a nice car. If the bid stays below 5k, I would be in his driveway Saturday morning and see if you could close a deal on the spot. 2 years ago I drove from MN to Pagosa Springs CO to bring back a truck on my trailer...3,200 miles round trip. Last fall I drove to Knoxville TN for a '38 Chev that I left there because of a deceptive description. 2800 miles and $800 in expenses for nothing. 200 miles is just getting the engine warmed up...;) Ya gotta be willing to do what it takes.
Based of pictures and description; how much do you think I would have to put into to make it a weekend driver?

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Based of pictures and description; how much do you think I would have to put into to make it a weekend driver?
I'm not clear on the transmission condition. I sent him a question about if it is in proper working condition now, or if it failed again after the rebuild. If the trans is good, that is a big plus.

The seller states the tires are 30 years old and dry rotten so figure replacing them. I would replace all 3 rubber brake hoses and flush with new fluid. That will tell you if the wheel cylinders are going to leak from all those years sitting. OR, just replace all the wheel cylinders while the system is open for the hoses and be done with it. To be safe, all belts and hoses and a complete tune-up/oil change/lube job should be performed too. After that, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't go almost anywhere you point it.

The tires will be the most expensive and that really depends on the brand/quality you want. In today's world $400 minimum.

The brakes are cheap...wheel cylinders are $10 each and about $30 for the hoses. Ad another $10 for fluid comes in under $100.

Belts, hoses, anti-freeze, tune-up, oil/filter and grease should be do-able for around $200 also. Don't buy the cheap $10 belt or hose. Get top quality Gates, NAPA Premium or similar. They cost more but won't fail prematurely and leave you stranded.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts