Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Is this a normal sounding engine?

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Blevinator 
#1 ·
Hello
Car hasnt been running in several years
Drained gas, changed oil and started
Not an expert but does this sound normal or goes this sound like too much lifter noise?
400 Pontiac
Small cam
10w-30 oil
Engine was running for 5 minutes when i took this video
Thank you!

#2 ·
Hello
Not an expert but does this sound normal or goes this sound like too much lifter noise?
400 Pontiac
Small cam
10w-30 oil
Thank you!

Did you change the filter?

Is the 10W-30 oil non-synthetic oil with the correct amount of ZDDP in it?

Did you pull the plugs and check them? Did you squirt any light oil into the cylinders? Did you crank the engine with the plugs out to build up oil pressure to prime the system before firing it up?

Did you pull the valve covers to check that all the rocker arm nuts were torque down or inspect for loose rocker arms?

#5 ·
It's always hard to diagnose engine noises with a video...so, I will suggest checking your rocker arms (like Jim mentions) in case some of the rocker nuts have backed off, What I am hearing is not lifter "ticking", but more like rocker arm "chatter". The first half of the video sounds pretty normal until the last half...then it sounds like you drug the microphone across the collar of your shirtt...or getting closer to the engine allowed the "noise" to be recorded well. Your 400 should not have rocker noise. At least not over the normal sound levels.

ZDDP is a zinc component that is in no longer used in higher levels of our available oils. Most of the time, the lack of it during the break in period can cause the cam to wear excessively within a short period...like minutes to an hour. If your engine was already broke-in properly...you may be OK with respect to the cam and lifters.

#7 ·
No offense but your video is useless. If it's been sitting for any length of time you will likely get top-end chatter.
You should have primed it first to get those juices flowing before firing it up.
If you let it get up to temp and idle for 20/30 and you still have chatter, Replace the filter this will remove about a Qt of oil, and add Rislone.
I would try this before tearing into it, these old Pontiacs don't like to sit, they need to be Driven.
This usually frees up those sticking lifters nicely. If the chatter persists then you'll need to look under the Valve covers as mentioned.
JM2C ✌
Cheers

Bottle Fluid Liquid Wheel Automotive tire

#11 ·
Hello
400 Pontiac
Small cam
10w-30 oil
Thank you!

have a 68 bonne 400 in a 71 gto, been 2nd car past dozen years intermittent use. past six years daily driver, was using the 10w-30, some ticking when oil started wearing, one day said wtf is this 10w-30 shite, think the manual even suggested it, engines a 10.5:1 comp, 340 hp. bought stp 10w-40 standard oil, running that now few years, zero ticking and tapping, unless obviously let it go too long before filter and oil changes. every six months +/- daily driver, 140k mileage, add about an extra quart in between, burning and bloody rear main seal drips. car doesn"t smoke but i do about two packs a week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.