1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Bear and a few other guys have really layed into me on this site

but here we go again ... I have been really trying to ID this car

The VIN 235370B137196

The Pontiac Custom S was a single model year car that was marketed between the Pontiac LeMans and the Pontiac Tempest. For reasons unknown, this one-year only nameplate replaced the previous model years Tempest Custom name in the Pontiac line-up.

The Custom S was only available for the 1969 model year. The car was originally to be called the "Pontiac TC".[1]

It was available in six different body designs: two-door convertible (VIN #'s starting with 23567xxxxx), hardtop coupe (VIN 23537xxxxx), sports coupe

Tell me that Im that Lucky and I got a Tempest Custom with a 400 4barrell
and its value and significance:bannana:

Pontiac Custom S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
373 Posts
If your VIN had the number 9 prior to the letter B you would have a 1969 Custom S hardtop coupe. But since you have a 0 instead, it is a 1970 LeMans Hardtop coupe.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just read your other thread with the RAM AIR IV and I think your talking about the same car on this thread.

The 3537 was used in 1969 for the Custom S (pic 1) and the 3537 was also used for the 1970 LeMans (pic 2). These cars have different lines. These pictures should tell you which car you have.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roger that , I would like to thank you very much for providing me with such info

Could you provide me with available motor trans options for a 1970 Lemans Hardtop

I would really like to get to the bottom of this mystery

The VIN Identifies the car with a V8 less than 100,000 Units

the car is in the body shop and im dying to get it back so i can look up some of the stampings block head etc

IN the meantime i just would like to know what scenarios could unfold with the motor and trans that could have or did come in this car

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Also, be advised that in 1970, the insurance companies were cracking down on musclecars like the GTO. Rates were skyrocketing. A few wise folks went the sleeper route and ordered a T-37 or Custom S or plain Tempest/Lemans with GTO running gear. They got a slightly lighter, faster car than the GTO, and saved a bundle on insurance. Had a friend back in the late '70's with a GT-37 (Or maybe T-37) that had the GTO 400, 4bble, TH400, and 3.23 rear gear. That car was just as fast as the GTO. So, not really far-fetched that a mere Tempest/Lemans of this vintage is packing some serious power from the factory.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to thank you Gentlemen for taking the time to both answer and inform me as quickly and cordially as you have ...

I will be sure to let you know how it pans out :patriot:

·
Registered
180 Posts
While you have it in the paint shop see if they can find the build sheet. That would answer all of your questions. My dad ordered a Cutlass S in 1972 that had all of the W-30 suspension parts and a 4 speed (unfortunately he went with a 350). He said you could order everything individually right down to the rear gears. I hope you got really lucky and the numbers or build sheet match up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The build sheet can also be found on top of the gas tank. Or in the case of the Cutlass S I was telling about, we bought the car back when the third owner wrecked it and the build sheet was jammed inside of the frame.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Or....contact PHS! The information you receive from them will tell you every detail about the car that it left the factory with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts