Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One year today since I brought home my newly adopted 69 "Legoat". 7,000 miles later give or take, one set of rear tires, two oil filters, 3 different intakes, 4 different carbs and two fuel pumps later and I'm still not happy with the lack of power but she's treated me quite well. Over the winter she's getting new paint and some motor work I've been dragging my feet on getting done, 068 cam, 1.65 rockers and the 1969 #46 heads I bought about 10 months ago. I think I'm going back to the RPM intake, the speedmaster seems to have a stumble off idle the RPM didn't have. I've tried everything to get rid of it to no avail, I think it's just not atomizing the fuel as well as the RPM did. Might try an eddy evs2 next instead of these summit carbs I seem to be obsessed with (i have 3) or the 69 quadrajet I got for free... Dunno, I'm just having fun tinkering and trying things to squeeze every ounce of tire melting power I can out of this old 2bbl cammed poncho 350... When I get bored with the 350, I have a .040 over 400 mothballed... It's been a fun year!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
One year today since I brought home my newly adopted 69 "Legoat". 7,000 miles later give or take, one set of rear tires, two oil filters, 3 different intakes, 4 different carbs and two fuel pumps later and I'm still not happy with the lack of power but she's treated me quite well. Over the winter she's getting new paint and some motor work I've been dragging my feet on getting done, 068 cam, 1.65 rockers and the 1969 #46 heads I bought about 10 months ago. I think I'm going back to the RPM intake, the speedmaster seems to have a stumble off idle the RPM didn't have. I've tried everything to get rid of it to no avail, I think it's just not atomizing the fuel as well as the RPM did. Might try an eddy evs2 next instead of these summit carbs I seem to be obsessed with (i have 3) or the 69 quadrajet I got for free... Dunno, I'm just having fun tinkering and trying things to squeeze every ounce of tire melting power I can out of this old 2bbl cammed poncho 350... When I get bored with the 350, I have a .040 over 400 mothballed... It's been a fun year!!!!
If you had a Holley try a more aggressive secondary pump cam and larger squirters, that fixed my hesitation from idle to wot.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,230 Posts
As I read your post, I hear a lot of places that Ive been myself, over the last few years. Give me a buzz some time and I'll walk you through what I did to finally unleash my setups potential.

As for the AVS2, obviously Im a big fan and have been tuning them for several years now, so get one!... When you can.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I mean by lack of power is lack of acceleration. Sure, she'll melt those big 275/40/18's while powerbraking but she won't spin them off the line and doesn't pull as hard as my 01 4 cylinder Subaru wagon does. Well melt isn't right term, she deconstructs tires, check out the pic of the last set I took off... She's just a 2bbl 350 with too much carb and not enough cam is my guess. The current carb is a summit m2008 750. Tomorrow I'm putting the 600 m2008 back on it. It ran best with that carb and a 1/2 open spacer. I assume the cam is the original 254 2bbl cam. The heads are '71 #94's. The motor itself is nice and tight, doesn't smoke at all and has no blow by so I'm going to build it instead of swapping in the 557 I bought back in spring that although it runs and has good oil pressure, I know nothing about it's internal condition...

Army, did you ever hook up with that guy and get that motor I sent you the info on a few months back?

Attachments

Reactions: armyadarkness

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
What I mean by lack of power is lack of acceleration. Sure, she'll melt those big 275/40/18's while powerbraking but she won't spin them off the line and doesn't pull as hard as my 01 4 cylinder Subaru wagon does. Well melt isn't right term, she deconstructs tires, check out the pic of the last set I took off... She's just a 2bbl 350 with too much carb and not enough cam is my guess. The current carb is a summit m2008 750. Tomorrow I'm putting the 600 m2008 back on it. It ran best with that carb and a 1/2 open spacer. I assume the cam is the original 254 2bbl cam. The heads are '71 #94's. The motor itself is nice and tight, doesn't smoke at all and has no blow by so I'm going to build it instead of swapping in the 557 I bought back in spring that although it runs and has good oil pressure, I know nothing about it's internal condition...

Army, did you ever hook up with that guy and get that motor I sent you the info on a few months back?
What's your rear gear situation? Sounds like you could be running highway gears out back. A set of 3.23 or 3.36 rear gears would be a decent compromise gear for an automatic car. Set up correctly, a 350 car can be pretty quick.

I'm going to put on my raincoat here. It's kind of a misconception how fast most of these cars were from the factory. They were quick for the day, but really not much compared to most new cars. Up until it blew up, my LeMans had a lower HP 400 (maybe 250-275hp based on the build and feel) with a 4 speed. My V6 Chevy Colorado would have smoked it in that form without breathing heavy. Granted the Colorado has 308hp but weighs ~500 pounds more than the Pontiac so should have been close (it wouldn't have been).

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,230 Posts

Man you must do a LOT of power braking! :oops:

I only have 235/60/15's and my car will roast the tires through 3rd, without brakes, and I still have tire meat!

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,230 Posts
What's your rear gear situation? Sounds like you could be running highway gears out back. A set of 3.23 or 3.36 rear gears would be a decent compromise gear for an automatic car. Set up correctly, a 350 car can be pretty quick.

I'm going to put on my raincoat here. It's kind of a misconception how fast most of these cars were from the factory. They were quick for the day, but really not much compared to most new cars. Up until it blew up, my LeMans had a lower HP 400 (maybe 250-275hp based on the build and feel) with a 4 speed. My V6 Chevy Colorado would have smoked it in that form without breathing heavy. Granted the Colorado has 308hp but weighs ~500 pounds more than the Pontiac so should have been close (it wouldn't have been).
Yeah, as I always say, my 4-door Silverado, 5.3, with a cap, wouldve easily killed my GTO, up until the Tremec went in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts