Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
n00bs! :rofl:

I imagine I'm pretty close to the highest-mileage GTO out there, I would imagine. GM NA should hire me as a long-term test monkey for the Monaro / GTO. Hey- I have Bob Lutz's personal email addy- I should pitch that! :D

My issues thus far:

Been through one transmission already- replaced under warranty.

The undercarriage is getting pretty worn out, and the ride has become quite boaty. A full-house polyurethane bushing set and Yellow Konis are inbound....the Hotchkis bars are here. Woohoo!

The driver's seat butt-bucket is sagging noticably. No fat jokes- I'm a fairly average (if slightly overweight) 200 lb guy.

First set of Dunlop tires lasted 40k.

It's an exceedingly well-built machine, with the notable exception of the Tremec grenading...

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
big_mike said:
How do you destroy a transmission that will hold 1000hp ???
My failure happened during high-speed cruise (I was going about 100 in 6th). According to the dealer (whose word I trust as far as I can fling them) the tail bearing went out, which was followed very quickly by other internal mechanical mayhem.

Was a bad tranny, apparently.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
big_mike said:
So you busted your tailshaft on a .5:1 ratio? definetely a bad trans, or a worn tailshaft bearing....
Shaft didn't break- the aft bearing did.

This, again, according to the dealer....and I had the distinct impression that they actually had no clue what happened.

it just...blowed up.

G

·
that reminds me.....do any of the manual guys have a problem with the clutch in their LS1-equipped GTO's? I remember the f-bodies had problems with the fluid overheating and causing engagement problems because the slave cylinder was sandwiched between the trans and pressure plate.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
big_mike said:
that reminds me.....do any of the manual guys have a problem with the clutch in their LS1-equipped GTO's? I remember the f-bodies had problems with the fluid overheating and causing engagement problems because the slave cylinder was sandwiched between the trans and pressure plate.
Mine said "screw off" after 4k miles if I remember correctly.... they suck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.