Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm kicking around the new idea of a 389 crate engine for my 1966 GTO. It's complete carb to pan, all I would need to do is drop it in, fill it with fluids & fire it up. Price shipped to my door is $4700. I do have the original engine sitting on a stand in the garage & will always have it & some day tear it down. The reason for the crate engine decision is: I want it on the road asap. I have very limited knowledge of the original engine's history of rebuilds, I only know it has been rebuilt more than once, I think I recall my Uncle having it done several times, but I was very young. The car will NEVER be sold, it's to stay in the family forever so I don't care what it's "worth" on the open market. Question is- Is there a certain Co. like YearOne that most people use? I found this 389 on Ebay & they seem to have a great reputation & it has a good warranty. Thoughts & comments?

·
Registered
481 Posts
IMO I'd rather spend the $4700 to get the original motor rebuilt. I like being able to tell someone its the original born with motor. I hope to keep it that way.

·
Registered
173 Posts
In the "modern sense", there is no such thing as a "crate" Pontiac. Crate engines are NEW, not rebuilt. That being said, there ARE several good shops rebuilding Pontiacs. Who is the company you refer to?

Jim

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
What is your engine doing that you think you need a new engine? As long as parts are available, you can drop your engine off complete at a local machine shop and they should be able to rebuild it in a week or so for less money than that, especially since you are saying it has been rebuilt in the past. It may just need a crank kit or rings.
The machine shop can tear it down and give you an estimate for repair for a hundred bucks or so. You can also get the 461 crank kit for it for $1600, then build from there. With a head redo, cam and such you would be around $3k or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts