Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of C5 fr brake pads [Ceramix] from Napa...sent them right back. Not near as much sweep as it should have had.

My other two choices are OEM from a local warehouse, or Akebono pads, ordering them online.

Does a GTOforum vendor sell Akebono? Tirerack had them for about $87.00 + shipping, but I'd rather order them from an individual here, if it's possible. I haven't placed an order with Tirerack yet.

Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Akebono Brake Pads

The '98 Mustang which I traded in on the Goat came from the factory with Akebono pads.

The pads performed well and generated almost no dust.

When I traded, it had 139K miles on it, and the original pads were only about one-half worn out. I'm sure a big factor in such low wear was due to the car being used mostly for highway driving. Also, it being a 5-speed, I used engine braking a lot by downshifting. The car also had the original clutch on it which, at least in my mind, blows the claim some have that downshifting for engine braking sacrifices the clutch.

When the time comes for new pads on the Goat, I will definitely consider Akebonos. :cheers

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mean Goat said:
The '98 Mustang which I traded in on the Goat came from the factory with Akebono pads.

The pads performed well and generated almost no dust.

When I traded, it had 139K miles on it, and the original pads were only about one-half worn out. I'm sure a big factor in such low wear was due to the car being used mostly for highway driving. Also, it being a 5-speed, I used engine braking a lot by downshifting. The car also had the original clutch on it which, at least in my mind, blows the claim some have that downshifting for engine braking sacrifices the clutch.

When the time comes for new pads on the Goat, I will definitely consider Akebonos. :cheers
Yeah, they were my first choice, w/ OEM being 2nd and Hawk Ceramic being 3rd choice. I made it easy on myself and ordered the OEM, just a few minutes ago, for $70.00.:eek:

They've got to be better lookin' than the $80.00 Napa Ceramix that I sent back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts