Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will put drag radials on the car this weekend at the strip...i bought a nice jack so i could crank it from the rear so both wheels will lift off at same time so i dont have to do one side then the other. to jack up from the rear, should i usde the third member? or where should i go off of...thnx

·
Registered
910 Posts
If you jack off the 3rd member you will tuck the wheels into the wheel well. I jack the rear of my car under the bolts for the rear sub frame ( in frt of the rear wheels), as this is a reinforced area. I have had no ill affects by doing this. To jack up the front I put the jack in back of the front wheel and place it under the uni-rail which is inward under the floor pan.This is also a strong point to jack the car.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
johnebgoode said:
If you jack off the 3rd member you will tuck the wheels into the wheel well.
Not trying to be rude, but, if you lift the car by the third member on an IRS car like ours it actually allows the wheels to droop and you can get them off easier. That's how I installed my slicks at the strip.:cheers

·
Registered
910 Posts
GTODEALER said:
Not trying to be rude, but, if you lift the car by the third member on an IRS car like ours it actually allows the wheels to droop and you can get them off easier. That's how I installed my slicks at the strip.:cheers
Steve.......I stand corrected. Been dealin with solid axle vehicles all my life. Went into brain fade on this one.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
johnebgoode said:
Steve.......I stand corrected. Been dealin with solid axle vehicles all my life. Went into brain fade on this one.
It happens..... try being me for the last week and a half.... running and running and running..:willy: :lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx a lot for the diagram and all the help guys, and yea the first time i jacked it up by the third member for test, so i was hoping i didnt do n e thing to wrong hahah...

·
Registered
344 Posts
I use the yellow points in diagram for jack points. I find if I drive front tires on 2x8 wood it’s just enough to use standard floor jack. Steve I thought you weren’t using GTODEALER any more?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts