Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now personally looked at about 10 2006 Spice Red GTO's and they all have the moisture under the clearcoat problem in quite a few places. I have found one that I really want and it has a bunch of splotches of moisture, but this dealer has removed this moisture on their other GTO's with success and they seem to know what they are doing.

I have heard some bodyshop guys saying that moisture under the clearcoat will present problems down the road and the paint could start lifting (so stay away from a car with it). Others say that it won't be a problem at all. What is your take on this? If the dealer can get them all out, should I be concerned about the paint 5 or 6 years down the line? The car will not be a daily driver and is going to be garaged and Zaino'd quite a bit.

I just want to make sure that I am not jumping the gun. I keep thinking should I be waiting for one that doesn't have the problem, but then again I haven't found one in the midwest that doesn't have the problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I know this is a question for John but since I did have a similiar experience I'll give you my opinion
If you check with the members who have had the blotches fixed I think you will see that there has been zero reoccurance....a bunch of people had the repair done over a year ago and no problems yet
I think if there was going to be a problem it would have happened by now
As far as going by what body shop guys say...I wouldn't put much faith in them,when I bought my PBM car and noticed a blotch I took the car to several "high end" body shops including a couple that do very expensive custom paintwork and all of them told me that the blotch was not from moisture and would not come out with heat and some even said that it was physically impossibe for moisture to get under the clear.........most wanted to wet sand or buff the spot,but I wouldn't let them...well I did decide to let the dealer try the heat repair I told them they had 1 chance to fix it and if it didn't work I would demand a regional rep look at the car and provide me with a new car or a complete refund
I had so many supposed experts tell me the area would need to be repainted that I was sure the heat wouldn't work......well guess what? 20 mins at the dealership and the blotch was completely gone
I know you have reservations about the blotches but give the dealer a chance to fix it,I know they can't predict the future and what may or may not happen 5-7 years down the road but then again who can?
Whatever you decide good luck,keep us posted

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. That makes me feel a lot more comfortable about the whole situation. I agree with you that most body shops are very skeptical about it. I probably talked with about 10 of them and almost all of them said to stay away from a car with those problems. But I have seen the heat gun fix a couple blotches and it is amazing.

I am definitely giving the dealer a chance and I really hope they all come out (there are probably about 20-30 little splotches). If so, then I won't be as worried since a bunch of you guys had yours fixed and they haven't come back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The only thing that bother me is that if there is moisture under the clear coat, it means the clear wasn't stuck to the paint. Whats to say that the clear would start to bubble or peel?

·
Registered
910 Posts
From my past experience,(32yrs), I have run across this problem before. Once it's eliminated there hasn't been any reocurrence regarding paint lifting. If the dealer can remove the areas effected then you're good to go........!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.