Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a fellow member on heres GTO via a local dealer. He had the following done to it; K&N intake, Kook's 1 3/4 headers with high flow cats, Flowtech custom camshaft 330/228 * 113 (including springs, pushrods, timing chain, crank bolt) Complete SAP package including rear spoiler (minus 18" wheels). I test drove it today with 3 ppl in the car and a 1/4 tank of gas (could have been regular knowing the dealer). The car was partially de-modded, it has the cam, an x pipe on it, the sports apperance mufflers but headers are gone, high flow cats I believe and headers are gone and the intake gone. I used to own a C5 auto and my friend has a 2001 z06 with intake so I am pretty familiar with how fast the car should be. The car has nitto 555's also. Well on full throttle it just did not seem anywhere near as fast as I expected. It didnt even come close to going sideways when I shifted, didnt chirp the tires from a 30mph roll, and just didnt seem as fast as I would expect a stock one to be. Do you guys think the car is knocking like crazy and starving for air with the cam and no headers and intake? Im pretty concernded and thinking of backing out as I have till tommrow for delivery of it. Anyone help would be greatly appreciated.
Andrew

PS it was also dyno tuned and was running 415whp before the mods came off, I was told it was re tuned after the de mod but Im not sure if I believe it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You may need it retuned. I also had a C5, 1998 Coupe, 6-speed. I now own a 2004 GTO, 6-speed. I find that the tires break loose easier in the GTO.(because they are not as wide, I think) My GTO feels really close to as fast as my Vette straight line anyway. Actually taking off it feels as fast, but as you hit second, and expectially 3rd you feel the cars weight slowing it down just a bit(Im sure in the 05 its not as noticable.) . Overall I'm happy with the GTO's performance. I didn't expect it to be the Vette. I expected it to be a nice coupe with Vette horsepower, and some decent straightline performance.
98 Vette 345Hp, 350 lbs/tq, 04 GTO 350HP, and 365 lbs/tq.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you think a tune can solve the problem tho? A friend of mine is saying with a cam, headers and intake are a must. Im worried the car is performing worse than a stock one because of massive knock/denotation.

·
Registered
456 Posts
"...I test drove it today with 3 ppl in the car..."

Ummmmmm, I think 500 extra pounds might have altered your results just a little.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Do you (or anyone) know the reason the car was traded in in the first place? Maybee that could be a clue to it's sluggishness.

·
Registered
456 Posts
werdnash2002 said:
oh yea and it was 3 ppl including me, and the car definatley felt significantly slower than my 345hp auto vette did with one passanger

With 500 extra pounds of people and 500 extra pounds of car (~ an extra 1000lbs), I'm not surprised.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the car weights 500lbs more and I had one more passanger that weights 180lbs, so lets say 700lbs more weight. This GTO should have about 440hp with the cam, x pipe and sports apperance mufflers, plus the car is a 6 speed where my vette was an auto, thats almost 100hp more and a manual transmission 2 carry the extra 680lbs and the car felt alot slow than the vette. When I shifted it didnt even throw me back in the seat.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would test drive it again with just you or maybe with 1 other person and see how it feels. If it doesn't throw you back in your seat.... Don't buy it, something is wrong.

Perspective: I was driving myself (200 lbs) and 2 other people (230lbs & 120lbs) the day after I bought it and the Goat threw us all back in the seat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im sure with headers and intake on it and a tune it would be alot faster but I just dont want to have to buy that stuff for it. Does 25 grand even at a dealer with the apperance package and 8900 miles sound like a good deal tho or just average?

·
Registered
456 Posts
werdnash2002 said:
im sure with headers and intake on it and a tune it would be alot faster but I just dont want to have to buy that stuff for it. Does 25 grand even at a dealer with the apperance package and 8900 miles sound like a good deal tho or just average?

I'd shop around. You can get an 06 with 0 miles for less than $5k more.

Checkout cars.com to compare

:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
i just bought a gto wednesday and i am extremely surprised at the traction i have, breaking it loose is very hard but its not from lack of power, i can nail it in first gear at any point all the way threw it and lose no traction with the wheel strait. I actualy lose more traction when i chirp second, only way ive lost traction is if i have the wheel cut or revved up to like 3 grand before i hit first

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went ahead and bought the car since my friend who has a Z06 drove it and said it seems pleanty fast, prob was just the weight and the regular gas in the car that killed the performance. It does seem fast now but Im gettin TERRIBLE gas mileage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
lol "it seems pretty fast but im getting terrible gas mileage"
unfortunatly with this car, if you want good gas mileage, you cant make it seem fast. First night i had mine, that free half of a tank lasted a mere hour or two, i was filling back up before the end of the night just to burn another quarter of a tank. I get pretty good gas when i shift at two grand and dont tear it up, thing i love about this big ass 8 is that you can still have pretty good fun without really hittin over 2 grand, nothing like hauling ass though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.