Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got XM today at my neighbors custom body/stereo shop. Went with the Audiovox unit. There is no interface available that lets you use our standard radio controls, so you have to use a separate unit with an FM Modulator. Audiovox has 2 available, and I got the smaller (more expensive) one. My neigbor took apart the entire center console, and removed the center lower cubby drawer, and custom cut a vinal plate (and dyed it black) to replace it, on top of which he mounted the unit. Oh my f*%$ing gosh it looks soooooo good. No more cubby, but oh well. I like the XM, but I'm getting static on any channel I try. Tried changing the FM channel I connect to, but still static. Any ideas? The sound quality is also average/poor. Almost sounds mono. My neighbor's shop is the most respected custom paint/body/stereo shop in central SC, and they've displayed at all the regional SEMA/NOPI shows, so I don't think it's the install. Don't wanna bug him cause he did it for free!

Pics comin friday, and I need help [MODERATOR....please :) ] posting them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got SIRIUS, no problems. If XM works the same, check both the external antennae that the reciever uses for the satelitte feed as well as the other antennae that send teh signal to the radio. Both need to be in "good" locations.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My "external" antanna is actually internal, front and center on my dash. That might be the problem. What do you think?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just bought Sirius 3 days ago myself, to me it sounds like your FM modulator. Or possibly with the unit tucked into the dash, your FM radio may not pick up the FM modulator very well.

While we're on this topic, has anyone ever watched Indy racing? Notice when they have the in car cameras, and how they go static for a split second when they go under the overpass thing? Last night on my way home my Sirius went out for a second on a couple overpasses. So far, in regards to sound the only complaint I have is, it's not loud enough, and the overpass thing I mentioned (but that's a satellite issue.

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You know your SIRIUS unit has a volume adjustmnet, right? You can turn it up if you think the signal to your radio is too weak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just so you know the reason your XM is getting static is because you mounted it in that nice little spot in the center of the dash. I work for Cadillac and we installed mine there. Would not work we made a couple of calls and low and behold on that car the antena must be on the outside of the car. Once I moved mine it was night and day. It works great now. As far as the overpass thing that is going to happen no matter what. Also near airports or anywhere radio signals are present and strong. Near the GW bridge XM cuts out completely. No matter what car I drive over there it happens. SO move your antena and you will see a complete turn around. As far as adjusting the volume I would love to hear about how to do that. I have the Roadie II and would love to adjust the volume. Tahnks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts