Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys here's a general Question, I just passed 10,000 miles on my GTO.

It's just about due for an Oil change. I have an account at Goodyear and always take it there for it's oil changes. Yes, I know I could do it myself, but I don't live in a house, I live in an apartment complex.

So, for those of you guys that have taken your car to a Goodyear, you already know what they try and shove down your throwt.

"your transmission fluid has alot of debris, it needs to be flushed that will cost 150$"

The majority of the time I know these guys are full of it, and are no good salesman, trying to make commission.

Ok, here's my question.

What services should I be subject to at 10,000 miles???

Top off all fluids?
Tire Rotation?
Transmission flush?
Engine Replacement? J/K.

I would appriciate some feedback. As I am concerned with the well being of my goat, and I do mind paying for something I don't need right away. But if it's going to need it within another 5,000 miles I may as well do it now.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
OK guys here's a general Question, I just passed 10,000 miles on my GTO.

It's just about due for an Oil change. I have an account at Goodyear and always take it there for it's oil changes. Yes, I know I could do it myself, but I don't live in a house, I live in an apartment complex.

So, for those of you guys that have taken your car to a Goodyear, you already know what they try and shove down your throwt.

"your transmission fluid has alot of debris, it needs to be flushed that will cost 150$"

The majority of the time I know these guys are full of it, and are no good salesman, trying to make commission.

Ok, here's my question.

What services should I be subject to at 10,000 miles???

Top off all fluids?
Tire Rotation?
Transmission flush?
Engine Replacement? J/K.

I would appriciate some feedback. As I am concerned with the well being of my goat, and I do mind paying for something I don't need right away. But if it's going to need it within another 5,000 miles I may as well do it now.

Thanks!
IMO.....If you have not done so,, I would...

Even though there are those who despise their dealer... I have a great relationship with mine... Call your dealer and ask them what they want to change the oil if YOU bring the oil and filter. My dealer yesterday charged me 14.99 for a change. I figure for that price it is worth it.

For that 14.99 they check all fluids and will be topped if needed, a battery check and brake inspection, tire inspection and will add air if needed, wiper inspection and lube. Yea I can do all this myself but again for the aggravation of it all.. I will pay the 14.99.

Goodyear will try and sell you things you don't need. Not that dealers won't. Your manual should state what services are recommenced at what mileage intervals. Look in the manual for guidance.

10K ......

Oil change / Lube
Tire Rotation
Check all levels and top.

At only 10K don't get steered into changing Tranny fluid (if auto). Unnecessary. But check the levels.

·
Registered
730 Posts
For that 14.99 they check all fluids and will be topped if needed, a battery check and brake inspection, tire inspection and will add air if needed, wiper inspection and lube. Yea I can do all this myself but again for the aggravation of it all.. I will pay the 14.99.
well dang, my place charges a dollar a pound for air and they don't pay me for that they left out of it.

actually i go to a local tireshop which i adore, i bring my own oil and the supply the filter and labor for around 20 bucks. i do the tire rotation every other oil change. i've gotten about 20k miles on my factory potenzas nevermind the 30 patches in them due to road hazards...
side story, i went in for a rotation oil change and fix a tire or two. total cost was 80 bucks :( they actually gave me a discount rate on the air since they performed these other services. 0.50 a pound, i needed about 50 lbs worth :(

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Remember when air was free? I am at 21.3K on the original tires and they are at about half wear or just over half. I have another set waiting in the wings.

Bottom line.... Get the scheduled maintenance schedule and find a place you can have confidence in and go with them.

I have never adhered to the schedule for any car I have. I have just done the normal oil changes and rotations. I have never ever changed out auto tras fluid in any automatics I had in the past. As long as the fluid was nice and red and always read full I left it alone. I have never ever changed out gear oil in any vehicle I ever owned and that includes all the 4x4's I had.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMO.....If you have not done so,, I would...

Even though there are those who despise their dealer... I have a great relationship with mine... Call your dealer and ask them what they want to change the oil if YOU bring the oil and filter. My dealer yesterday charged me 14.99 for a change. I figure for that price it is worth it.

Goodyear will try and sell you things you don't need. Not that dealers won't. Your manual should state what services are recommenced at what mileage intervals. Look in the manual for guidance.

10K ......

Oil change / Lube
Tire Rotation
Check all levels and top.

At only 10K don't get steered into changing Tranny fluid (if auto). Unnecessary. But check the levels.

That's a good source, I didn't think about that.

Thanks for the input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts