Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

Well last Friday I went out and bought an '04 Quicksilver M6. First off I have owned an '84, 92, 02 Camaros and a '96 Formula FireBird, not one of those cars could come close in fit, finish and initial quaility.

I almost feel bad saying it but, it tool non-Americans to build what should always have been an American muscle car. Everytime I sit in the car I can't get over how well the car feels screwed together. All of the materials feel first rate and even the joints between body pannels are near perfect.

I will say that my '02 SS felt faster! I ran 12.89 bone stock (maybe I had a factory ringer) but this GTO feels stiffer and plenty strong. The SS had more cracks, rattles, and squeeks than little liver pills.

I know many people have been complaining about the stereo, and while I did like my Monsoon in the SS, I think the GTO sounds good for what it is, a stock stereo. I am installing a Delphi FM modulator that plugs into the antenna port so I can use my IPOD and XM tuner.

I do think in the long run this car would do good with some more power to deal with the weight. Which is why I bought an '04. I paid $30,275 before rebates. I also got the $3500 GMAC, $500 military and $500 GM coupon plus 2.9% for 5 years. Could not go wrong! I will keep it stock until the spring (about 5-6 months) and then start sinking a few dollars into it and will end up with a cheeper car than the '05 and it will be just as nice.

O, by the way, the day after I got the car I removed the wing! The car looks so much cleaner and like more of a sleeper. Never let them see you coming.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey, welcome aboard man!

I have been giving some thought to removing the wing too - but for other than "looks" reasons. First, I have this nasty habit of looking in the rear view mirror and expect to see what is behind the car - not to admire the wing - which, at least for me, is what I see the most in the mirror.

Second, the thing is a pain in the butt to clean in, around, and under.

What did you do with the holes? I'd kinda like to put in some sort of plugs so I could try it out for a while. And what about the light? Is it on a plug or did you have to snip the wire(s) ?

---Larry

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went out to the auto store and bought those plastic panel button type holders, like the ones that hold interior trim in place. I also got some GM match silver touch up paint and boom, no wing.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Congrats on the GTO. I too, stepped out of an '02 SS and feel the same way about the quality. For a car 800 lbs heavier than a vette and the fact these LS1's are not "de-tuned", it won't take much to get in the 12's.

Remember your SS new, the LS1 takes a while to come in full.

I just added the K&N CAI and I know some don't have faith in that, but I can tell you the car lifts quicker, higher, and by seat of the pants, there's more there. Dyno soon. :cool

·
Registered
141 Posts
Dumb question: Are there any ramifications of removing the wing? My wife and I can't stand the wing but the dealership said that it was absolutely needed for high speed stability. I figured it was an optional piece of equipment in Oz and probably not needed, but they insist that it is needed. I'd like to know before I take it off. I don't really plan on driving that fast, but how fast would be too fast?

David

·
Registered
590 Posts
SilverGoat said:
Dumb question: Are there any ramifications of removing the wing? My wife and I can't stand the wing but the dealership said that it was absolutely needed for high speed stability. I figured it was an optional piece of equipment in Oz and probably not needed, but they insist that it is needed. I'd like to know before I take it off. I don't really plan on driving that fast, but how fast would be too fast?

David
This car is extremly stable. I've had it to 150 with no buffeting. I'm comparing it to the SS and on stock suspension / tire height it was damn near scary at 150. All you can do is experiment. From racing open wheel Forumla 500 (SCCA club & some pro circle track), I can tell you downforce not much of a factor 'till your over 100, so I don't expect your GTO gettin' all squirly on you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer intel strikes again!

Unless you plan on driving over 120 on a regular basis I'd say no car on the road "NEEDS" a wing. Our wing is not constructed very well so if it did create down force of any significance, It would be amazing if it did not break!

True airfoils look sort of like airplane wings flipped upside down. Instead of lift, down force is created and presses the car down on the road. By looking at the shape of our wing, I'd say it is for looks only.

Just my $.02. I could be wrong

·
Registered
142 Posts
question about antenna port

I know many people have been complaining about the stereo, and while I did like my Monsoon in the SS, I think the GTO sounds good for what it is, a stock stereo. I am installing a Delphi FM modulator that plugs into the antenna port so I can use my IPOD and XM tuner.

Can you explain that about the antenna port and the modulator -for those of us who are not electronically technically inclined (aka old) I would like to add XM.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the module at Crutchfield. You go to the sat radio section and click on a delphi tuner and then click on the accessories tab.

The FM modulater is about as clear as you are going to get without RCA jacks. If converts a signal that you might find on a sat tuner or mp3 player and broadcasts it on an unused FM signal but instead of being wireless there is a physical connection into the antenna port of the head unit. This is to minimize static and noise. The unit is wired with constant power and there is an audio in mini-jack so you can switch between what ever music souce you want.

Crutchfield has then for $44.99 shipping included.

·
Registered
46 Posts
kevracer said:

Can you explain that about the antenna port and the modulator -for those of us who are not electronically technically inclined (aka old) I would like to add XM.....
Hey Kev... just curious, how old is OLD?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any reason to be concerned about rust over the long haul if you just stick with the plugs and don't get the holes actually filled?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Part # for modulator?

Hi-
Any chance you can post the part # of the modulator? I have an older (2 years) Kenwood model that is no longer made, but it has a standard antenna connection on it. When I pulled out the head unit, the antenna connection is a LOT different than normal. I assume this unit you bought uses a non-standard antenna connection?

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts