Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked this up on a trade. 1971 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible , 400 engine , 400 auto tranny. Previous owner loved the color yellow I guess, LOL... Paint scheme is not at all on the top of my list, but considering that my budget is low it will have to do for now. Give me some of ya'lls opinions on exterior color . Should I go with Yellow exterior or keep it black ? Yes Im gonna do away with the hood scoops...

Attachments

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Ditch the stripes for sure. Yellow would be way to over powering in my book for the exterior. I would stick with black. I do kinda like the yellow in the upholstery. The dash on the other hand is a little much. Is the yellow on vinyl? If so, you could dye/paint it black. To me, the yellow would drive my eyes buggy going down the road. JMO

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I think you're right. All black would be the way to go. Yes the paint on the dash is on vinyl. Im gonna get me some nice chrome wheels too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually the car is very sound, and reliable. It has a rebuilt 400 with less then 1000 miles , and a strong tranny. Im probably just gonna get some 15" wheels for the mean time, just something to give it some color. Those black wheels just doesn't give the car justice .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks ! The car is very quick, it picks up nicely. It has the slap stick also. Nice cam, 750 CFM Carbuerator. I have an 72 Oldsmobile with 50's in the rear and skinnies in the front. I may go the same direction, and put that wheel combo on the Lemans.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Yeah, I think you're right. All black would be the way to go. Yes the paint on the dash is on vinyl. Im gonna get me some nice chrome wheels too.
Chrome wheels will definitely make the car pop. My car came with IROC aluminum rims. Swapped out with chrome for the same reasons.

I completly agree with the others. Make changes as your budget allows while enjoying it as you go. It will keep your excitement going. Enjoy your new project!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I love that Olds. It a 72 olds cutlass "S" with a 455 and 350 turbo. Its a good clean car, having problems with the battery that's why the hood is up. I just gave it to my dad as a gift, so he could have something to keep himself occupied with.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, I changed the centerline wheels from the Olds to the Pontiac. Now that I gave the Olds to my dad he went and ordered some prostar wheels off of ebay, so I went ahead and switched out the wheels just to see if the aluminium would make a difference. Kinda like it, but I may go with a different style. Anyone have any suggestions on a style ?

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks. Im really not feeling that the centerlines go well with the car... I think they look awesome on the 72 olds, but being that the pontiac is a convertible I think the wheels just don't do it . Don't get me wrong, I love the drag racing wheels, but in my opinion i think they do better on a hardtop muscle car. Well, anything looks better then the solid black steel wheels that I had on it before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts