Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first heard that Holden was exporting our trusty and loved Monaro to the US I just new I had to have one. Well now my financial position has finally allowed me to pick up a new GTO.

Having owned a Blk/Blk M6 VY SS Ute in Perth Australia last year, I was devastated when I had to sell her when I came to the US.

I tell you this tho. Buying a new Monaro in Austalia would set you back around 55k AUD. So stealing this GTO with all the GMAC rebates right now just doesn't seem right, but I will take it.

Keep up all the good work on this forum.

BTW who is on this board from North Dallas area.

Cheers, Simon

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and to add. It is really sad all the motor magazines here in the US that have bashed the new GTO. They are an icon in Australia and the "gotta have it" factor is massive with the younger and older generation alike. Thats ok tho. I say if you love your car, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

I have a buddy here who drives an Blk 04 LS430 sport package and when I told him I was getting a Pontiac he just about keeled over. It only took one drive around the block to convince him otherwise tho.

Cheers and Happy New Year all

Simon

·
Registered
102 Posts
Agree that a lot of people do/will turn their collective noses up @ the Pontiac brand.

I must admit that I was one of them myself.

However just 3 mins. behind the wheel of the GTO convinced me otherwise.

In fact I'm actually glad that this is the case, otherwise we'd be paying MSRP or very close to it!

Congrats on the new car. Love the combo you got. I was also [email protected]@king at the Black but none availble in the 6M near me. :(

I ended up with a 6M Torrid Red which I like a lot (color~wise) but I've already got a red car.

Oh well, you can't drive both of 'em @ the same time! lol. ;)

Last :seeya

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is true. Couldn't find a Blk/Blk M6 for about a week either on a 500 mile radius from Dallas. Sewell Pontiac finally found one about 30 minutes before I was about to put a deposit on a Blk/Red M6 from a different dealer. Either way would have been fine I guess. Love the Blk/Blk tho. Gotta get tint for the summer although. Will be very hot here in Texas

·
Registered
2 Posts
New GTO Owner

Congrats - I purchased a phantom black/anthracite 6M with chromed stock wheels on 12/10. It is one heck of a car, especially for the $$. The interior is the best thing GM has put out in the states, ever. Seats are fantastic, supportive and comfortable on those all-day drives. I had 3 out of the 4 tires replaced as there were vibrations both front and rear. Apparently they had manufacturing defects and the wheels could not be balanced to eliminate the shimmy. New ones seem fine; however, straight line tracking is vague above 70 mph or so. I tried lowering the air pressure a bit and it helped to a degree. Anyone experiencing similar problem? I read a few owner reviews of the OEM BF Goodrich tires in Tire Rack that mentioned manufacturing defects and the straight line steering vagueness also.

Other than the tire issues, the car is flat out awesome.

Happy New Year!!!

JoeyD

·
Registered
35 Posts
JoeyD said:
... straight line tracking is vague above 70 mph or so. I tried lowering the air pressure a bit and it helped to a degree. Anyone experiencing similar problem? I read a few owner reviews of the OEM BF Goodrich tires in Tire Rack that mentioned manufacturing defects and the straight line steering vagueness also.

Happy New Year!!!

JoeyD
Hmmm...Joey, I think that could explain my experience as well. I've noticed a bit of straight line vagueness - tried a variety of tire pressures - still seems to be there a bit so I assumed it was intrinsic to this car's steering, but sounds like it might be the tires (though they handle curves magnificently). By the way, congrats on your purchase, but the Impulse Blue is faster! ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
congrats, I just picked up the same combo this week :cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
JoeyD said:
Congrats - I purchased a phantom black/anthracite 6M with chromed stock wheels on 12/10. It is one heck of a car, especially for the $$. The interior is the best thing GM has put out in the states, ever. Seats are fantastic, supportive and comfortable on those all-day drives. I had 3 out of the 4 tires replaced as there were vibrations both front and rear. Apparently they had manufacturing defects and the wheels could not be balanced to eliminate the shimmy. New ones seem fine; however, straight line tracking is vague above 70 mph or so. I tried lowering the air pressure a bit and it helped to a degree. Anyone experiencing similar problem? I read a few owner reviews of the OEM BF Goodrich tires in Tire Rack that mentioned manufacturing defects and the straight line steering vagueness also.

Happy New Year!!!

JoeyD

i also have tire shimmy mainly when the tires are cold seems like when they warm up its not so noticable. i am gonna swap to 275/40 anyways :D
blk/blk 6 speed is the fastest lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
congrats on the new ride! just curious how they kept the Ute's back end down...;)

as to the rep of the 'new' GTO, it's funny how many people ask me about it; every time I stop to fill up, I get questions about it; I tell them it's the best decision I've ever made, and that they need to go drive one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
radandy. Good point. Only been driving the GTO for four days now and I have had 4 people stop and ask me about it. It has really suprised me.

BTW I love driving the GTO, just as much as I enjoyed driving my Holden SS Ute in Australia. The back end was a little hairy at times in the Ute, to compund the problem there was no traction control system on it either.
I guess it taught you to just be careful and learn real fast how to drive it. I never had to contend with icy roads in Australia tho, so that should be a new experience for me here in Dallas

The Ute was an Jan 03 build in Oz and rated at 235kw (320 hp) at the fly or 183 kw at the wheels (251 hp). I had it in to the local Ls1Edit boys in Myaree, Perth and with a custom cold air box and HSV MAF to TB pipe (MAF still on) AND then custom tune, I was making 216 kw at the Wheels (295hp). Daniel, the guy who tuned my Ute back then said it was an impressive gain for an all stock exhaust.

Would love to get involved in tuning again with my new GTO. I guess I need to wait a while for the engine to wear in a little (only 240 miles on the clock so far and rising fast).

Cool.

2 Questions for you all.

1. How long do you need to wait before tuning a NEW GTO. (miles etc)

2. Anyone here running MAFLESS on the stock exhaust. Would it be worth it.

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.