Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Months ago, Vice Chairman Bob Lutz announced that he will push for the G8 to continue, but without Pontiac what can happen? Well.... the G8 would have been converted into the new Chevrolet Caprice. Earlier this was confirmed by Mr. Lutz.

“We decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet,” Lutz told Automobile. “It is kind of too good to waste.” All thats left is re-badging and most likely a new grill.

Report: Pontiac G8 to live on as Chevrolet Caprice

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buick is GM's top seller in China, and is amongst the top in overall sales in China.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Months ago, Vice Chairman Bob Lutz announced that he will push for the G8 to continue, but without Pontiac what can happen? Well.... the G8 would have been converted into the new Chevrolet Caprice. Earlier this was confirmed by Mr. Lutz.

“We decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet,” Lutz told Automobile. “It is kind of too good to waste.” All thats left is re-badging and most likely a new grill.

Report: Pontiac G8 to live on as Chevrolet Caprice
Thats good news! The Zeta platform is the best to date.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
Hey since its trendy to be retro, why don't they make it look like this:

While we're at it, lets throw in the 305s with solenoid carburetors mated to super tall 700r4s for a whopping 150HP. Maybe even a vinyl top. Hows that for nostalgia? :rofl:

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I thought Buick had a smaller market share than Pontiac. At least here in the states.
The Chinese market is where the money is at now. There are over 6 million cars a year sold in China. We are at barely 9 million. The Chinese have 20% sale growth per year. The number one selling American brand is Buick.

It took GM 8 years to sell it's first million Buicks in China. That happened in 2006. Since 2006 they have sold another million. It's projected that Buick will sell one million vehicles a year in 2010. As the Chinese market heats up to 20 million vehicles per year in 2020, if Buick retains it's market share, they will sell more than GM will sell vehicles in the US.

2009 also marks the year that GM now sells more cars in foriegn countries than in the US.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Screw GM,I hope they go completely under!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I thought Buick had a smaller market share than Pontiac. At least here in the states.
In pre-World War II China, one in five cars were Buicks.

General Motors, selling vehicles under the Buick, Chevrolet, Opel, Saab and Cadillac names, is the best-selling foreign automaker in China. Selling a combined 876,000 vehicles in 2006, GM overtook Volkswagen the year before, although that company still holds the claim on best selling brand. Making up nearly 35% of those sales, China is Buick's largest market, selling more there than even the United States. In 2007, General Motors sold over 330,000 Buicks in China, more than twice what they sold in the United States.
Since 1999, a Chinese version of the Buick Century/Regal has been produced and sold in China under Shanghai GM and has proven to be popular among upscale, professional families, establishing Buick as one of the most popular vehicle brands in China. In addition, Buick of China also sells the compact Excelle (based on the Daewoo Lacetti/Nubira), a five-door hatchback version called the HRV, and a modified version of the first generation Pontiac Montana minivan named the GL8. Chinese market Buicks are equipped with smaller engines than the same nameplate in the American market; in 2008 General Motors began importing these engines from China for use in the American Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent.
In June 2005, Buick announced that it would market the Australian Holden Statesman in China as the Buick Royaum. Buick previously marketed the subcompact Sail, sourced from GM's Asian operations and based on the Opel Corsa B, until 2005. Since then, Shanghai GM has replaced it with the Chevrolet Sail (a rebadged Opel Corsa). Buick has stated that it expects China to become its second largest market.
For the 2006 model year, Buick debuted the Chinese version of the LaCrosse sedan. The only differences are exterior design, different engine choices, and a facelifted interior. It is positioned above the Regal but below the Royaum.
In April 2007, Shanghai-GM announced the Buick Park Avenue, for the Chinese market only. The vehicle is based on the Holden Statesman, with engines manufactured in Australia.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agreed that GM should have dumped Buick. But that was before I knew about Buick's Chinese market and Buick is essentially the founder of GM.

I own a G8 and I'm glad to see it stay, it's actually my wife's car.

Instead of the Caprice, it should be the Impala SS. The G8 is actually a very nice car. It's like driving a luxury muscle car.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Union of American Whiners.
They'd rather lose their jobs than take a pay cut.:rolleyes:

How much do auto workers make per hour?

I know it's a lot so why not take a small cut if that would save some of their jobs?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts