Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi forum members, I have been searching for a GTO project car on eBay, now as some of you might remember I bought a 73 GTO from a a person that I learned after that was a member of this forum, which I found this forum after the purchase, I just wish I would of found this forum first, so here’s what I was wondering how come you never see may 73 GTOs, I see many 64s up to 72s ? I realize the build numbers are low , but where are they ? Just curious

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Hi forum members, I have been searching for a GTO project car on eBay, now as some of you might remember I bought a 73 GTO from a a person that I learned after that was a member of this forum, which I found this forum after the purchase, I just wish I would of found this forum first, so here’s what I was wondering how come you never see may 73 GTOs, I see many 64s up to 72s ? I realize the build numbers are low , but where are they ? Just curious
They are not really desirable - they are boats. Low numbers makes them harder to find in good shape. They are heavy. Not much performance out of the 400CI if you wanted to keep the engine stock for "restoration" examples. Pollution equipped and no one wants that - especially if your state requires it to be intact. Parts are not readily available as you found out and the cost to restore is more than the return in most cases unless it is the even lower production 455's or 4-speed cars.

By 1973, the performance image was just not there as it began to shift towards the Trans-Am.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you PJ, yeah, that 73 I bought was a POS, by the time we got to the car it was dark out, and they had it sitting outside, the red flags were flying like a kite, but I was ignorant and couldn’t see the really bad that was hiding, I made a newbie mistake on that one, the 73s do have a unique look and somewhat cool look, I received a rendering picture from a builder and if one bring the bumpers into the body and narrow the closer to the body sides the look sweet, I had a chance of buying Fiberglas fenders, hood, doors and a rear bumper, the thing that kept me from do so was the flooring and windshield rot.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
'73's get a bad rap, and while down on power, they do have unique one-year styling, are extremely rare, and have a better ride than any other GTO. They make excellent road cars for long trips. A mild 455, AC, some 2.73 gears, and you'll have a fast, comfortable, and unique ride.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Glad to hear that info you shared geeteeohguy on the 73s, the one I had was in really poor shape, the windshield rot was a lot more than I had noticed upon arriving where the car was ( late and dark out ), but I rolled the dice and took a chance, the next day I was doing a better inspection and noticed what I really ended up with, I had made contact with Belden Speed and Engineering and sent them pics of the windshield area and they was very sorry not able to help. I tried parting it out with no interest from no one, car was crushed, parts went to the metal recyclers, it was a sad day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts