Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a good friend come over to help me with my K&N Air Charger installation.

Here's a few pics. Hope you enjoy them as much as we enjoyed putting it in the GTO. :)

Took him all of 1 hour & 10 mins. of that was looking for a dropped screw. :willy:

Really very happy with the whole thing. From the make/materials of the K&N to the ease of install (well for my friend anyways :lol: ) & the added performance.

I'd say a must do mod for anyone looking for some more HP out of the LS1.
Last :seeya:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a definititive growl coming from under my hood now.

They did a great job on tuning the GTO's exhaust sound but this puts the whole car in stereo now! :cool

Amazing how the sound of a car can make it that much better. Everything seems to come to life especially when you mash that pedal.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Don't believe it voids the warrantee.

Where did you purchase it and for how much?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought it from Cardomain.com. It was $255 shipped.

Here's the link.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/KNN631099

I've heard varying stories about the warranty. Some say yes some say no. I think that if they can prove any part failed becuase of the K&N Filter then you could be SOL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Emissions?

I was interested in getting one of these also, but, after reading KN's website, I am not so sure. If you are unsure, I would go to their website and read the product info and FAQs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Any problems with any sensors showing a "check engine"?? Did the same thing to my Av and caused the "check engine" light to come on, the Diablo Preditor programmer took care of it.

Mike

·
Registered
590 Posts
haven't gotten a light on this GTO. Didn't get lights from K&N CAI on my '94Z28, or 02SS with K&N Filter, MTI lid, and FRAM - free ram air mod, as it's called. Fbodys can dremel out most of the bottom of air box and see a gain.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gtoavette said:
Any problems with any sensors showing a "check engine"?? Did the same thing to my Av and caused the "check engine" light to come on, the Diablo Preditor programmer took care of it.

Mike
No SES but the guide said to disconnect the battery for @ least 15 mins. before starting the engine with the new air charger installed. This is supposed to reset the computer on start~up it will establish new readings.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I believe there is a thread about the warranty question related to CAI's posted somewhere. I think the problem is coming from people over oiling their filters, which is gunking up the MAF. As long as you don't over oil you shouldn't void your warranty. I had a K&N on a Dodge Ram and a Mustang and the dealers didn't give me any slack about it. I just ordered a CAI from New Era Performance so 1 will also be going on my GTO.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a K & N cold air kit and I think it is an excellent mod. SOP you can feel a difference and it sounds great!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
24 hour update :)

Absolutely a very worthwhile mod. Aside from all the other reasons I've posted my MPG has shot up by 5 more miles to the gallon.

This thing should pay for itself in no time just on gas alone!

VERY HAPPY I highly recommend this MOD to anyone.

Last :seeya

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pittsteeler said:
I was interested in getting one of these also, but, after reading KN's website, I am not so sure. If you are unsure, I would go to their website and read the product info and FAQs.
There's a 3 page thread over on the Corvetteforum where someone had a friend who's truck caught on fire while they were trying to start it.

The dealer tried to blame the K&N Filter.

Here's the thread..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1021478&page=1&pp=20

Look towards the end of page two & you'll see that K&N stepped up to the plate for this guy. They even offered to fly down to the dealership to prove that their filters do not catch fire & threatened legal action if the dealer would not take responsibility for trashing this guys truck.

The dealer is eating crow now! Great to see K&N standing behind their products.

Last :seeya:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts