Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I ordered this thing a week ago right after I picked up my car. Mechanic at the dealership showed me his '04 GTO and immediately opened the hood to show me his K&N unit, said I HAD to have one for mine.........so I ordered one. Now, after reading here, I'm not so sure I want to install it. I really don't want any additional noise........except the stereo, so the question is this, do I install it now?

TIA,

JET

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
J.E.T. said:
Well I ordered this thing a week ago right after I picked up my car. Mechanic at the dealership showed me his '04 GTO and immediately opened the hood to show me his K&N unit, said I HAD to have one for mine.........so I ordered one. Now, after reading here, I'm not so sure I want to install it. I really don't want any additional noise........except the stereo, so the question is this, do I install it now?

TIA,

JET
Noise..... the only "noticeable" noise is at wot, is there another noise I'm not aware of, put it on the car you'll love it!! :cheers

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read that this unit causes increased engine noise........I'm old school and have always felt that noise was bad, paranoid I guess. I installed a Corsa exhaust system on my new CTS and have always regretted it. Guess I'm getting old.............I'll have the mechanic fire his GTO up and let me hear how it sounds, then make the decision. Thanks for the positive reply though.

JET

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
J.E.T. said:
I've read that this unit causes increased engine noise........I'm old school and have always felt that noise was bad, paranoid I guess. I installed a Corsa exhaust system on my new CTS and have always regretted it. Guess I'm getting old.............I'll have the mechanic fire his GTO up and let me hear how it sounds, then make the decision. Thanks for the positive reply though.

JET
Sorry, dude, it's axiomatic. Anything you do to increase performance to your car-- any car-- will in some way increase the noise your car generates. That stands for both suspension and engine work.

You have to decide on the old comfort vs. fun paradox.

·
Registered
23 Posts
GTODEALER said:
If you're old school then you remember the sound of a Quadrajet at wot, that's what it sounds like!
And THAT's a beautiful sound....(especially with the breather lid turned upside down) :D

It did make a difference by my butt-o-meter dyno. And it's only noisey at WOT -- just like the quote above...

·
Registered
50 Posts
GTODEALER said:
If you're old school then you remember the sound of a Quadrajet at wot, that's what it sounds like! :cheers
On my '75 Eldo GM put a muffler on the air cleaner intake tube to quiet down that big ol' Quadrabog... I really do love Q-Jets... My '71 GP 400 (Awating re-restoration) would knock down 18 MPG at 80 MPH thanks to the small primaries, if I pushed it any faster the big holes would open up and she would only get 9 mpg...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have that Cai my self, at normal driving you can't even here it. The only time you can really here it is at wot. That is if your really listening for it. So in the words of every one just do it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK.........done deal.

JET

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GTODEALER said:
How do you like it?
It's still in the box. Haven't had the time to take it in for the install. I want to get my brakes looked at while it's at the shop and also get the rear fascia painted so this week it should all get done.

JET

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
J.E.T. said:
It's still in the box. Haven't had the time to take it in for the install. I want to get my brakes looked at while it's at the shop and also get the rear fascia painted so this week it should all get done.

JET
:cool .... let us know! :cheers

·
Registered
214 Posts
Noise

The additional "noise" is from the removal of the airbox - which asks as a silencer. The engine itself makes no additional noise from the installation of a CAI.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts