Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a K&N air charger cold air intake for my '06 goat. talked to 3 different dealerships, 1 said that it would definitely void the warranty, can only modify stuff from the catalytic converter/02 sensor back, the 2nd said he wasn't sure, thought it would void the warranty, the 3rd said i was ok to put it on, that it's up to the individual dealership about warranty crap. does anybody know for sure? i paid alot for the optional 6 year 100,000 mile warranty and am scared as hell to put it on. please help!

·
Registered
53 Posts
dustyminpin said:
Bought a K&N air charger cold air intake for my '06 goat. talked to 3 different dealerships, 1 said that it would definitely void the warranty, can only modify stuff from the catalytic converter/02 sensor back, the 2nd said he wasn't sure, thought it would void the warranty, the 3rd said i was ok to put it on, that it's up to the individual dealership about warranty crap. does anybody know for sure? i paid alot for the optional 6 year 100,000 mile warranty and am scared as hell to put it on. please help!
Keep your stock airbox handy just in-case

·
Registered
63 Posts
raven1124 said:
:agree Yep, as long as your CAI didn't cause the problem.

don't think that a dealership won't try to pull that **** though. i've heard of guys told that a shifter mod voided the warranty for suspension work. it's a matter of what they can get away with.

the best advice is to READ your warranty paperwork and become familiar with it. if you have a buddy who is a lawyer, have him explain any legalese to you so that you UNDERSTAND what it says

·
Registered
415 Posts
dustyminpin said:
I asked specifically about this at the dealer and they told me that it would only
void the warranty for the MAF sensor. He even told me to put the factory
CAI back in if I ever had to bring it in and there would be no problem.

·
Registered
585 Posts
dustyminpin said:
Do a search on this site, you will find legal protection from that kind of CRAP.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's up to the dealer I think !

I have an 04 M6 with an AEM cai and a Granetelli MAF on my car, I went in because the throttle body was acting up and they done all of the work under warranty. So I would have to think that it's up to the dealer. See the dealer gets all replacement parts for free from GM if it's warranty but GM pays them for the labor so the dealer makes money if they warranty it. The only problem is that if they don't warranty it they can charge YOU for parts and labor. Here is my CAI and MAF.

·
Registered
746 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
cuspid said:
Sorry, but a couple of years ago GM sent letters out to corvette owners that said oiled filters void the warranty.
So that means a k/n drop in would void the warranty too? :willy:

Well, don't own a corvette, haven't recieved a letter, and didn't see it in my warranty...

I also had a dealer tell me anything I did to the intake or exhaust would void the warranty...(that was before I learned about The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) or I would have called :bs) and have read about dealers saying not using a GM oil filter voids the warranty, etc

I believe GM and the dealers will try and get away with anything they can, even if it means shooting themselves in the foot...

unsatisfied customer = non repeat customer

·
Registered
63 Posts
yes, but you forget that GM doesnt think more than 5 inches in front of their nose. they'll save a few pennies now by screwing you on warranty work, but then they wonder why you're across the street at the nissan dealership when it comes time for a new car. might be a reason why GM is flirting with chapter 11.

the GTO and Corvette are exceptions to the rule- most GM cars are bland crap. Many even argue that the GTO is more bland GM crap (though they really dont know what the GTO is all about either)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.