Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
check out the volant or even better the lingenfelter CAI, they will work a lot better since they are inclosed, less hot air being sucked in from the engine bay, the colder the better,. I got the volant , actually installed it today works good, looks even better.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MSTNGKILLA said:
check out the volant or even better the lingenfelter CAI, they will work a lot better since they are inclosed, less hot air being sucked in from the engine bay, the colder the better,. I got the volant , actually installed it today works good, looks even better.

Thanks...I'll do that...Just wondered what the deal was with this
K&N since no one seems to talk about it at all...I generally would
take that as a bad sign...No replies except for yours kinda answers
my question...Unless folks are getting tired of answering the same old
tired questions anyway...Which I could understand as well! :cheers

·
Registered
90 Posts
The K/N is a very good Product but the design just sucks in so much hot engine bay heat that you actually have a power loss, They give u piece of sheet metal and call it a heat shield>> LOL.... This is not an issue only for GTO put for all cars, and all the CAI manufacturs. It would be nice to see a company make a TRUE CAI , something that snorkels it's way in front of the radiator ,funnels in true outside air temps and pumps it into the motor. I have seen some imports with a set up that goes behind the front bumper but that could be dangerous if you have a lot of rain,, HYDROLOCK anyone! There are a few guys on the site currently trying to build there own CAI I'll try to find out wich thread it is and fill u in..

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MSTNGKILLA said:
...There are a few guys on the site currently trying to build there own CAI I'll try to find out wich thread it is and fill u in..
I went ahead and ordered the volant CAI...Couldn't find as much info on it
but it did look to be a better intake all together. Only claims I saw were
"up to 40 HP gain". Not really concerned one way or the other. No exactly
like the goat doesn't run strong anyway...Just want her to 'breath well'.
:lol:

·
Registered
90 Posts
oh yea she will breath alwright, gongrats on your smart buy! it's a sinch to put in and looks super clean! 40hp no way maybe 7-11, a bit more once it is all tuned in wright. What u thinking for your next mod? Headers!!!!!!HINT HINT

·
Registered
23 Posts
Go Volant, K7N doesn't cater to Goat lovers

I was interested in the typhoon with maybe getting a powder coat color to spruce up the engine bay a little here is the response I got. I don't know what the big deal is but these guys don't seem too customer friendly. I vote for the Volant ---
:confused

The K&N online mentions we make Typhoons 4 different finishes. Unfortunately not every application is available in all 4 finishes and unfortunately we will not make one for an application in which a color is not available.

Thank you,

Leon S. Collins

K&N Technical Support

1-800-858-3333

·
Registered
90 Posts
7-11 hp 5-9 tq that is about what youl see, not something you'll feel but it's there. The biggest difference I noticed is that the motor runs better,it seems too rev up faster, and it gets better fuel mileage. we are talking only about .2 or.4 mpg though! The main purpose I believe is that a CAI is simple the first mod people due because it is so easy. Plus it looks awsome under the hood. this type of a mod is the first step of many one will take to make some real HP gains For example, CAI, Headers Lt's, custom Exhaust and PROPER tune job schould give you 35-50 Hp 40-55 TQ throw in a cam and those numbers will jump too 55-90 HP 60-80 TQ these are realiable HP and TQ #. it's a combination of things that will make the real difference. Put a maggie unit on top off that package and well let's just say you will be at the woooooowwwwwww facter when you stomb on it! I would say a bit under 600 Hp Reliable!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I looked at the link for the Volant, but they didn't show it in a goat. Can somebody post a picture of their engine bay with the volant in it?? Thanks.:cheers

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Volant CAI

Received my Volant CAI today...Looks good. I like the enclosed filter. And
yes, the brochure claims "up to 20HP gain, and up to 40 lbs torque"...I know
that's not the case with the Goat however. Anyway, looks like a fun Saturday morning project. Thanks for all the input...I'm happy I went with this one over the K&N if though its not installed yet!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah - advertising on these CAI's is a bit much.

From what I have heard the Volant is a good unit since it is sealed - like the ColdAirInductions unit I have - enjoy.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Doesn't look any different than stock, maybe a litter larger, where's the cold air?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yep larger = more air therefore a bit more HP #'s ,true they work almost the same and sit in the same spot, So they are still sucking Hot Air IAT's.... The thread listed b 4 mine here is awsome info on the constant struggle to keep out Hot Air ( Intake Air Temperature) svede is on top off the issue with some great info and specifics!!!! Check it out! But remember these boys are serious tuners who want every single HP available!!!! So don't get bumd out. A aftermarket CAI is still one off the hottest Mod's to do on any ride, and so easy!!!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MSTNGKILLA said:
Yep larger = more air therefore a bit more HP #'s ,true they work almost the same and sit in the same spot, So they are still sucking Hot Air IAT's.... The thread listed b 4 mine here is awsome info on the constant struggle to keep out Hot Air ( Intake Air Temperature) svede is on top off the issue with some great info and specifics!!!! Check it out! But remember these boys are serious tuners who want every single HP available!!!! So don't get bumd out. A aftermarket CAI is still one off the hottest Mod's to do on any ride, and so easy!!!!
:agree The Volant was the best choice for me...I'm happy with it.
Can't wait till Saturday! It looks better too, because it has a crome(ish) top
to the box encasing the filter (actually still has the blue protective film on it
so I'm not 100% sure what it looks like).

·
Registered
20 Posts
CPO's GTO said:
:agree The Volant was the best choice for me...I'm happy with it.
Can't wait till Saturday! It looks better too, because it has a crome(ish) top
to the box encasing the filter (actually still has the blue protective film on it
so I'm not 100% sure what it looks like).

Do you think you could post a picture of it????

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.