Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
HP and GM gains are minimal. No SOTP noticable power gains either. The car will technically breathe somewhat better however. The best thing about the K&N is that it's reusable.

A CAI will give you more gains for the buck. LPE is a GREAT CAI (I'm heavily biased as you can tell.)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just dropped one in last week. Can't say I've noticed anything dramatic, but I didn't really expect to. The only semi-objective measure I have is my gas mileage, and I'm not enough tanks of gas into it to tell yet. I think the engine computer needs to get used to the change for a while to make best use of it also, although I'm sure someone will pipe in on that topic.

One thing I did notice for sure was how tricky the Aussies made it to get into the airbox. Three long screws, one of them tucked under the lip of something, instead of the ususal little clip to release the top of the box to get at the filter. I was doing it in the dark, which may have contributed to all the fumbling around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Custom Air Kit With K7n Filter

hey guys i own a 2005 i am working on a custom cold air kit for your GTO,this kit would have every thing needed to hook up the filter to your GTO.thus doing away with the factory restrictive box..this can all be put on and changed in less then ten minutes..every thing in the kit will simply bolt into place where the factory box was,i have mine on the car and have been road testing it for the past week.my car is all stock thus far and i can tell a notiacible sound in the car with the kit on the increase airflow to the motor gives it a unique sound with better throttle response....if any one is interested send me an email and i can send a price and pictures of the kit i have on my [email protected] i can sell this kit for alot less then you can buy one elsewheres..thanks RC

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I think K&N's claim for just the air filter is 2 things. First you save money and the enviroment because you use the same filter over and over again. The second claim is improved air flow. The increases versus a paper filter when the K&N is clean versus a new paper filter are marginal. After 15,000 miles though, the K&N claims are that the filtercharger will flow within about 90% of freshly cleaned and the paper is at about 65% of new. At 30,000 the K&N is still at 70% of clean and the paper is at 25%.

That would indicate the possibility of hp gains when clean, but very slight. With a few thousand miles to the replacement time for the paper filter you would notice progressively more power and better fuel economy for the K&N over paper filters.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks I appreciate it, but I may wait till the summertime to buy one.

Have had a chilly week here in the low 50's (it's FL, I know) and there is a noticeable power difference just from the colder ambient air.

Thinking responsibly, I think I need to address my traction issues to get the power I DO have to the ground more effectively before I go out and start adding more.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Lets not confuse CAI with just the filter replacement. The filter replacement is just that and it runs for $40-$60. The CAI is a replacement of the stock air box and filter set-up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.