Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a recommendation on an aftermarket radiator and/or cooling set up (oil cooler?) for a 64 GTO, 389 4 bbl

Engine just rebuilt. Car in Florida. After some highway driving at around 3000 rpm, she gets a little hot.
Any/all "cool" suggestions welcomed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure of actual temp. Need to get a gauge on it. She ( the GTO )starts to feel a little lethargic. Spoke to other classic car owners in Florida. It is a common issue. Ratios for racing, no overdrive and unrelenting heat. Not a good combo for a classic driver car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Have used the OEM radiators in my GTO's for the past 35+ years without issue. Both of mine have the HD cooling option with 4 row cores, and both cores have been replaced in the past. You need to determine what your actual operating temps are and go from there. Re-coring the original radiator is the route I would probably take. Car has made it 40-50 years with an oem....just needs to be in good condition. When I removed the 3.36 rear end from my '67 convertible and installed a 2.56 gear, the freeway temps dropped at least 20 degrees. Big difference cruising 2100 rpm vs 3000........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts