Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the battery is going out on my key fob, so I went in to the dealer to inquire about it. I know you can't change the battery in them unless you want to break it. The key fob alone is $64 without the key. Then they wanted $150 service charge just to reprogram the computer for the fob. I ordered a fob, but told them that they could stick the service charge where the sun doesn't shine. Does anyone know how to reprogram the thing?

WTF!! $150 charge to program the key. There has to be an easier way.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I think the battery is going out on my key fob, so I went in to the dealer to inquire about it. I know you can't change the battery in them unless you want to break it. The key fob alone is $64 without the key. Then they wanted $150 service charge just to reprogram the computer for the fob. I ordered a fob, but told them that they could stick the service charge where the sun doesn't shine. Does anyone know how to reprogram the thing?

WTF!! $150 charge to program the key. There has to be an easier way.
Yes there is an easier way it takes about 30 minuits, I've done it. Bear with me its been awile sence I've done it. Put the key in the ignition, turn to the on position(do not start the car)the car will honk once or three times after 10mins. Turn the key in the off position, then turn it back on for another 10 mins the car will honk twice. Turn it back off and back on for 10 mins the car will honk either once or three times, then turn it off and try to start the car. I'm going to try to find the proceadure and post it up.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Ahh found it.

Transmitter Programming
The transmitter may not communicate with the receiver if any of the following situations occurs:

The transmitter battery wears down.
The transmitter key has been replaced.
The Body Control Module (BCM) has been replaced.
Perform the synchronizing procedure if the transmitter does not communicate with the receiver. If the transmitter and/or receiver are replaced, preform the following programming procedure:

Programming Transmitters With Tech 2

Important
It is not possible to program a remote transmitter without the Body Control Module (BCM) security code. The security code is contained on the Important Security Information Card issued with the vehicle when new.

Using the Tech 2, select Body / Programming / Program Remote Key and follow the instructions.
Enter the security code when prompted and follow the instructions.

Programming Transmitters Without Tech 2
Turn the ignition to ON, then wait 10 minutes for the next step in the programming sequence.
After the 10 minutes has elapsed, the car horn will chirp once. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position within 5 minutes after the horn has sounded, then to the ON position within 5 seconds after switching it OFF.
Leave the key to the ON position for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes has elapsed, the car horn will chirp twice. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position within 5 minutes after the horn has sounded, then to the ON position within 5 seconds after switching it OFF.
Leave the key to the ON position for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes has elapsed, the car horn will chirp 3 times.
Verify that the security indicator in the instrument cluster has stopped flashing and attempt to start the vehicle.
Turn the ignition to OFF and remove the key from the ignition switch.
Move approximately 3 meters (10 ft) away from the vehicle and test the transmitter functions to validate that the transmitter has been programmed successfully.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Yes there is an easier way it takes about 30 minuits, I've done it. Bear with me its been awile sence I've done it. Put the key in the ignition, turn to the on position(do not start the car)the car will honk once or three times after 10mins. Turn the key in the off position, then turn it back on for another 10 mins the car will honk twice. Turn it back off and back on for 10 mins the car will honk either once or three times, then turn it off and try to start the car. I'm going to try to find the proceadure and post it up.
That would be great....

If you find it, start a new thread on it and I will make it a sticky. Great info to share.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Changing the battery in the key fob was done successfully by one of our members about a year ago. Look for the post and you will see that it can be done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks gm4life. You saved me some cash. Check is in the mail. I will let you know how it turns out once I get the new fob.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Thanks gm4life. You saved me some cash. Check is in the mail. I will let you know how it turns out once I get the new fob.
No problem, when I bought my car it only had one key. I ordered the key and FOB, payed around $120-$150 can't remember, then they wanted to charge me $80 for programming ha no thanks. Why $80(your case $150 :confused) just to plug in a Tech 2 and take maybe 10mins don't know, maybe thay have to charge you for the hour of labor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I opened the key fob and the battery is soldered in its a 2032 lithium 3V I removed the solder popped the clips that hold the battery in place put the new one in placed a silicon gasket that I cut to size one on top of the contact and one under the bottom contact to keep the battery in place then I glued the unit back together and what do you know it worked.

Here ya go....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks gm4life worked like a charm. The other forums say that you can only program the fob for one time only. I don't know if this is true becouse I used a new fob so beware of used fobs on ebay. Thanks again.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My dealership programmed my fob for free since I purchased it through them. Otherwise they would have charged me for 1 hour shop time if I brought one in for programming. Just something to check on if ordering a new one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks GM4life. Your instructions worked perfectly. I bought my GTO last November and it came with only 1 key. I got the key, fob and key cut for less than $75 from a Detroit area Chevy dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Purchased a key fob and finally got around to programming it since the battery on mine is on it's way out. Swapped over the cut key to the new fob programmed it and worked like a charm!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts