Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was turning off of the highway to my house when a RX-8 flew buy. I was doing nothing anyway so I went after him and we ended up racing twice.
The first time I pulled on him so bad I stopped after just hitting 3rd gear and
asked him if he had left his traction control on. He said he turned it off and we went at it again. I think this one might have been even worse. I'm not sure how many lengths to say there was. A bunch. Maybe the guy couldn't drive. But it was fun. He said he should have gotten a GTO. I'm stock.

·
Registered
267 Posts
blue goat said:
I was turning off of the highway to my house when a RX-8 flew buy. I was doing nothing anyway so I went after him and we ended up racing twice.
asked him if he had left his traction control on. He said he turned it off and we went at it again. I think this one might have been even worse. I'm not sure how many lengths to say there was. A bunch. Maybe the guy couldn't drive. But it was fun. He said he should have gotten a GTO. I'm stock.
:D :D NIIIIICE :cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't think an RX-8 even counts as a "kill", that's like racing my Topaz. But I am probably like you, I will race just about anything, faster or slower--doesn't matter, I am old enough now that I can even take a spanking and still smile.

Nice "cough" Kill :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice. Was the RX-8 stock or modded? I would have to say that an RX-8 is a legitimate kill. It's got approx. 240 HP, which is only 20 HP less than a Mustang GT. Anyway.... It's always good to hear your providing a healthy diet for your Goat.

·
Registered
160 Posts
WOOHOO!!!! :cheers

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Hakkinen said:
I don't think an RX-8 even counts as a "kill", that's like racing my Topaz. But I am probably like you, I will race just about anything, faster or slower--doesn't matter, I am old enough now that I can even take a spanking and still smile.

Nice "cough" Kill :)
Spoken by someone who has obviously never driven an RX8. Nice cars, but you need to keep the revs up as they are bit lacking in the torque department. Rotaries are easily kept highly wound, however. Also, their handling is awesome indeed.

In a canyon burning scenario in which the road gets twisty, that RX8 would easily hand our Goats their respective furry asses (provided said Holden is still equipped with the vigin factory suspension and brakes).

Fact.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Groucho said:
Spoken by someone who has obviously never driven an RX8. Nice cars, but you need to keep the revs up as they are bit lacking in the torque department. Rotaries are easily kept highly wound, however. Also, their handling is awesome indeed.

In a canyon burning scenario in which the road gets twisty, that RX8 would easily hand our Goats their respective furry asses (provided said Holden is still equipped with the vigin factory suspension and brakes).

Fact.
Unfortunately your assumption is only a testimony to either your ignorance or arrogance. I have driven an RX8 several times and would likely have bought one if I never had taken the GTO out for a test drive. I think anyone with a moderate interest in automobiles is aware of the RX8s ability to carve corners and stop on a dime; however, the race in question was obviously not of that nature. The only way a GTO will be beat in a straight line by an RX8 is through serious driver incompetence. And that Jack, is a fact :)

Did you read blue goats post? Did that sound like a close race to you? :confused

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think any kill is a good kill as long as they are dumb enough to get beside you more than 1 time. I have had 2 occasions were I raced the same car twice. ( A WRX which I smoked after 85 mph,and a beefed up plain camaro).
Anyways any kill is a good as long as you dont kill yourself or someone else, because we are going through are mid life crissis. ( As my domestic superviser would say). That would be my wife.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Hakkinen said:
Unfortunately your assumption is only a testimony to either your ignorance or arrogance. I have driven an RX8 several times and would likely have bought one if I never had taken the GTO out for a test drive. I think anyone with a moderate interest in automobiles is aware of the RX8s ability to carve corners and stop on a dime; however, the race in question was obviously not of that nature. The only way a GTO will be beat in a straight line by an RX8 is through serious driver incompetence. And that Jack, is a fact :)

Did you read blue goats post? Did that sound like a close race to you? :confused

Woah...who peed in your Cheerios, ace?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I killed a modded 99 Mustang the other night; in all fairness though, I don't think the guy could drive. I had four car lengths on him on the leave.......he never caught up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
blue goat said:
I have on better than that some punk kid thought his stock Grand Am Se v6 could take me, at least he said it was stock, i coulda swore i heard a blower belt whining. His words and i quote "That six banger ain't ****" well well well no don't we look stupid on top of getting tromped, i told his girl friend she was hott and would look better in my car!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Warpath said:
Nice. Was the RX-8 stock or modded? I would have to say that an RX-8 is a legitimate kill. It's got approx. 240 HP, which is only 20 HP less than a Mustang GT. Anyway.... It's always good to hear your providing a healthy diet for your Goat.
yeah yeah but that's only like 190 hp to the wheels to our 289 hmmmm big difference if you ask me. and as for the schmuckstang i pee in it's general direction...y can't ford (you all know it stands for Found On Roadside Dead right?) come up with a new and ORIGIONAL idea of it's own...the 500 for example.....gimme a break. iF it looked anymore like the chrysler 300 i think they'd have to pay royalties to dodge

·
Registered
212 Posts
kevracer said:
I killed a modded 99 Mustang the other night; in all fairness though, I don't think the guy could drive. I had four car lengths on him on the leave.......he never caught up.
I also beat up on a 2003 Mustang GT a while back. He was running drag radials, intake/exhaust, and some other little stuff I guess. I'm all stock, running a lot of pressure in the tires.. (anything to help this fat pig handle). Anyways, he took me about two cars out of the hole, but I pulled in and passed getting into third. More like blew him away. We raced twice, I missed third gear both times, and still killed him.

He was a good friend who just got rid of his '99 Corvette for this pile of a 2003 GT. What a sad trade!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wouldn't be patting myself on the back too much on an RX8 kill with a GTO. I've put 20K on my 8 and have been very happy with it. It's quick, handles great, and is a real head turner. It has a unique design and I've never had more people comment on a vehicle I've owned. On the downside, it has an advertised 238HP, with about 180 of that actually getting to the rear wheels, and the torque curve is....well...anemic. It revs like a motorcycle all the way to 9K, and the meat of the torque is 5500-7500. It's a much different driving experience, and if you're going to win a race, you have to keep it high in the powerband. GTO's (although I have not yet driven one) develop their torque so low that they'll spank an 8 all day long at most speeds. The 8 excels at handling and would be tough for a goat to play with at a track. However, straight line performance is the goat's strongest suit, and it will win every time. When motor trend says it will do 5.9 to 60, read the part about how they did a 7K clutch dump to get there. It may hit 5.9 a few times, but that new clutch gets kinda expensive if it becomes a habit. Flame on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts