Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of you that know me here know that I don't street race and have no experience.

Well today (just 30 minutes ago) on rt 84, I see this wide and low Audi coming from behind. The HID were grinning and were extremely long for each lens. That's another way you can tell that its not your typical Audi. He pulls along side, gives a grin and free revs the car befor taking off. His car was very very loud so I suspect some mods. Mine as you know engine wise is stock. We were going 65 when he reved it so before I knew it, he was 2 car lengths ahead. I then floored it but I was at 2800 rpms so the GTO did not pull quickly enough. It was short and very quick but he clearly was ahead. Before we came upon the cars ahead, he was not increasing his lead but he clearly got me.
Now I know why you guys mod these things. I felt like going to a speed shop today and getting a magnacharger.
Was probrably my inexperience and not being at the right rpms to take off faster.
Also though, that Audi was a black beast and sounded awesome. I've seen him before so he is local. Right now, I'm thinking of going back out there after dinner.....but probrably not.:lol:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
You need to take it easy on this. For one, that car costs about 4 times what you payed for your brand new GTO. Secondly, that does not even nearly count as a race. His car was loud, meaning he was obviously in his preferred RPM ready to pull on you, while you were cruising on a higher gear, and lower RPM. Everyone knows GTO's have an advantage from a roll at the right RPM, which you were not on. Next time try 4,000 RPM for a good jump.Don't make rational decisions like getting a Supercharger or anything. Remember there will always be someone faster than you.

·
Registered
342 Posts
you kno, the right gear and a bottle of oh say, 100 shot n2o would have suprised that r8 =]

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same experiance on the interstate about a month ago.. saw a mean mettalic blue audi r8 come up behind me.. so i thought i would show him what was up lol... but i thought wrong.. come to find out after doing a lil bit of research they come stock with a V10 pushing 518hp so dont feel bad for getting beat!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had the same experiance on the interstate about a month ago.. saw a mean mettalic blue audi r8 come up behind me.. so i thought i would show him what was up lol... but i thought wrong.. come to find out after doing a lil bit of research they come stock with a V10 pushing 518hp so dont feel bad for getting beat!
No they come with a V8 with 420hp and 317lb-ft of torque. The audi RS8 hasn't been produced yet, last i checked. That is the one with the V10.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys make alot of sense. The new r8 looks unbeleivable but the one I encountered was awesome enough.
I would have done the 3 horn thing if I had the chance. I'll make sure I'm ready rpm wise when I see him again.

Just wondering if a NOS system would void my extended warranty? If not, any good links you can share for one?

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
You guys make alot of sense. The new r8 looks unbeleivable but the one I encountered was awesome enough.
I would have done the 3 horn thing if I had the chance. I'll make sure I'm ready rpm wise when I see him again.

Just wondering if a NOS system would void my extended warranty? If not, any good links you can share for one?
yes it would void your entire drivtrain warranty if you can not hide it from the dealer (ie red and blue endconnectors, NOS stickers (lol) and a strange looking TB plate. Now i am not saying it could not be hidden from the dealer but most techs would see nos system right away:eek:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Looking at them you would never expect a stock GTO to hold a candle to an R8....But the R8 does weigh 3,500 lbs though and with only 20 more hp and 75+ less torque, from a roll it would make sense that a GTO could take one. If you just look at the numbers on paper, an R8 is actually a good race. I don't know how true that is though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
This was taken from edmunds thats not the greatest at getting good numbers from their tests.In performance testing, we hustled a manual-shift R8 from zero to 60 mph in 4.2 seconds, dispatching the quarter-mile in 12.7 seconds at nearly 111 mph. In the R tronic model, our times increased to 4.6 seconds and 12.8 seconds at 108.4 mph. EPA fuel economy estimates stand at 13 mpg city/20 highway and 15 combined for cars equipped with the conventional manual transmission, while the R tronic lowers the highway estimate to 19 mpg.

Looks like it depend on what tranny the R8 has on how well a goat would hang. My one race with an R8 was a highway roll. The cocky prick rolled up on me like he was going to kill me and when I was done with him I bet he wanted to take it back to the dealer and find out what was wrong with his car and how he could lose so bad to a neon.:D

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice one beast. I'm guessing this one was a manual transmission. He did a quick double rev and was gone.I will be more alert and ready next time. It was really my first experience with anyone challenging the GTO but I will be ready next cruise out.

The more I remember, I don't think it was a new r8. How long were they making those things anyway?

·
Registered
211 Posts
No they come with a V8 with 420hp and 317lb-ft of torque. The audi RS8 hasn't been produced yet, last i checked. That is the one with the V10.
i spank them buggers all the time. then again im hopped up. it;s the modded z06's i have trouble with...

·
Registered
211 Posts
This was taken from edmunds thats not the greatest at getting good numbers from their tests.In performance testing, we hustled a manual-shift R8 from zero to 60 mph in 4.2 seconds, dispatching the quarter-mile in 12.7 seconds at nearly 111 mph. In the R tronic model, our times increased to 4.6 seconds and 12.8 seconds at 108.4 mph. EPA fuel economy estimates stand at 13 mpg city/20 highway and 15 combined for cars equipped with the conventional manual transmission, while the R tronic lowers the highway estimate to 19 mpg.

Looks like it depend on what tranny the R8 has on how well a goat would hang. My one race with an R8 was a highway roll. The cocky prick rolled up on me like he was going to kill me and when I was done with him I bet he wanted to take it back to the dealer and find out what was wrong with his car and how he could lose so bad to a neon.:D
D A M N straight...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Even if the car was comparable to yours, making up a 2 CL deficit at 65mph means well into the triple digits before catching up. As it is, the R8s can trap in the low, low teens (figure like an LS2 Vette) so really a noble death either way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts