Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've had my 06 for about a month now. It has 10,500 miles. Noticed when I accelerate normally with the windows down I hear a light knocking/tapping sound at about 1500 rpm. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak. This happens when it's hot or cold. I don't have any performance issues. Runs great. Got home today and pulled it on the ramps
so I could pinpoint the noise. It's coming from the engine area underneath. I've heard about the LSX piston slap but this still goes on after the car is warmed up. As much as I hate to I'm thinking about takibg it to the dealer
to get it documented. Anyone suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
I had the same problem, turns out the A/C belt tensioner was bad. The service writer also thought it was coming from the valve train. It was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took it in to the dealer this morning. Damn I hate it but what else could I do?
Waiting for an evaluation. It's not my daily driver so I told them to take their time and find out what it is.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couldn't really hear it unitl 1500 rpm. It's not real bad but I thought it prudent to get it checked while warranty is still in effect.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update. When I changed the oil 4 hundred miles ago I used a K&N oil filter. My bad for not replacing it before taking it to the dealer for an engine knock.
When I talked to them this morning they asked about the filter and said that could be causing the problem. He said it could be starving the engine for oil???
Soooo.... they are going to change the filter and see If the noise goes away.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Humm probly not, but hopfully its that simple, I can't remember on our engines but on the BB/SB engines you had a bypass valve that let oil bypass the filter it was small but it worked.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
engine noise

once the LS2 motor is broken in [ your's is ] they are a little on the noisey side. Hearing a little lifter noise and other mechanical sounds are normal to hear at idle, but you should not hear it at 1500 RPMs or when driving it, Unless the owner before you put a cam in it. Get the oil changed because you don't know for sure what oil is in there now or HOW LONG it has been in there. Could be oil starvation if the level was too low or if the oil has broken down from long term use. OIL Change is a cheap way to know.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input folks. I changed the oil myself. Mobile 1. No cam. No low oil levels. I plugged my scanner in before I took it to the dealer. No codes.
I'll give them another week and see what they come up with.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Update. When I changed the oil 4 hundred miles ago I used a K&N oil filter. My bad for not replacing it before taking it to the dealer for an engine knock.
When I talked to them this morning they asked about the filter and said that could be causing the problem. He said it could be starving the engine for oil???
Lots of people use that K&N oil filter including myself and don't have a problem... sounds fishy... good luck!

·
formerly NJGoat
1,843 Posts
oil filter

Yea, that doesn't sound right. I too use a k/n oil filter on my wife's '07 tahoe. It seems to be working fine. I don't change the goats oil, my dealership down the road, owned by so-called family, has a deal where you buy a new car from them they will change your oil for as long as u own the car. They even use mobil 1 and told me they would still change it every 3000 miles. I had goat for almost one full year and only have apprx. 850 miles.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
engine noise

Thanks for the input folks. I changed the oil myself. Mobile 1. No cam. No low oil levels. I plugged my scanner in before I took it to the dealer. No codes.
I'll give them another week and see what they come up with.

Let us know how you make out with it

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the car back yesterday. They replaced the cam and lifters. I saw the old cam. It had chatter marks on one lobe. Looked like someone took a round file and went around the top of the lobe. Anyway all covered by warranty.
No scratches or dents. I nailed it a few times on the way home and it runs as advertised. Glad to have it back.

·
Super Moderator
2,639 Posts
Got the car back yesterday. They replaced the cam and lifters. I saw the old cam. It had chatter marks on one lobe. Looked like someone took a round file and went around the top of the lobe. Anyway all covered by warranty.
No scratches or dents. I nailed it a few times on the way home and it runs as advertised. Glad to have it back.
Cool!

·
Registered
585 Posts
OMG, that is new one on dealer/service manager psycho babble. I would love hear K&N view on that. Change the filter?? One of the highest rated filters is K&N. The medium is excellent and helps keep clean the longer drain intervals used by synthetic oils. Let me guess, they also recommended 3,000 oil change intervals, right?

Barbarians, that all they are preying on people that must defend themselves from such idioicy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Lots of people use that K&N oil filter including myself and don't have a problem... sounds fishy... good luck!
K&N oil filter causing the noise, I rather doubt it, very-very fishy. You would think the dealership could have come-up with something more plausible than that for an excuse. I use K&N, zero issues... :agree

·
Registered
72 Posts
knocking or chattering

Mine does this same thing. Between 1500 to 2000 rpm 25 to 45 mph in 4th, 5th or 6th. It drives me nuts. I suppose I'm going to have to make a trip to the dealer as bad as I hate to.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts