Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Humbly posting.
Finished installing new fuel pressure regulator, wrench slipped down under flywheel / fan unbeknownst. Started her up, wrench flew into radiator, big hole, coolant everywhere.

65 GTO 389 Tri-Power 4 speed manual, no AC, original matching with some add ons, front disk brakes, roller cam and electronic ignition.

Looking about a new radiator. Found US Radiator with Copper Brass look a like, bolt on ready, no mods required, ouch expensive, about $800.00 with 3 row core standard. Not sure if original is salvageable.

Question to the Forum, will a new radiator devalue the car? Its not a true survivor as engine has been rebuilt (original specs, no change to cylinders, added roller cam) and was painted about 10 years ago, but its damn close. Interior, glass, chrome all original. No dents or accidents.

Was thinking get a new one, save the old one for future resale if needed. I'll need to pull the radiator myself and not mechanically inclined but can do basics.

Any gotchas I might need to know about before I attempt removal?

Any suggestions about US Radiator or other options?

All comments welcome thanks.

· Registered
4 Posts
I am the original owner of a 1965 GTO (almost 58 years), 4-speed tri-power. I purchased a 4-core Desert Cooler radiator from Ames. To my surprise the radiator cap does not sit parallel to the radiator; To me, this is not correct and is very obvious. I am so disappointed by the looks that I am changing back to my original radiator. Have your original radiator recored; that way you will still have the Harrison stamped top tank and the original soldered-on part number tag. Think carefully and ask questions before buying.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the inputs. Going for a recore. Problem is not allot of services available but will stay the course. Love the brass copper patina on the Harrison. Not worth giving up.
And so it goes.
Rowland you are a relic being original owner. Hope to meet you some time down the road.

· Premium Member
1,071 Posts
I am the original owner of a 1965 GTO (almost 58 years), 4-speed tri-power. I purchased a 4-core Desert Cooler radiator from Ames. To my surprise the radiator cap does not sit parallel to the radiator; To me, this is not correct and is very obvious. I am so disappointed by the looks that I am changing back to my original radiator. Have your original radiator recored; that way you will still have the Harrison stamped top tank and the original soldered-on part number tag. Think carefully and ask questions before buying.
I hear that, mine was off just a little but I can live with it, there werent many options near me for a recore shop as-in some areas , since most radiators are plastic nowadays, when I did find one , if I remember ,they were preety steep, approching a new one in price , but its worth checking of course

1 - 8 of 8 Posts