Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, cant buy konis in australia, summit dont have them, i found bilsteins but would like to look into the konis but who sells the for the 67 gto, thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
google search, konis sold worldwide.
yes done that found distributers but none list konis for the 67 gto....i have sent off a few requests so waiting on replys....just got one reply from shox.com they say konis only start frome 68 onwards...they said buy bilsteins....so looks like bilsteins for me

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
google search, konis sold worldwide.
yes done that found distributers but none list konis for the 67 gto....i have sent off a few requests so waiting on replys....just got one reply from shox.com they say konis only start frome 68 onwards...they said buy bilsteins....so looks like bilsteins for me

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oy, fiesta, you can get KYB (Japanese technology) on Ebay. Why not try them? Here's some discussion from a few weeks ago.

http://www.gtoforum.com/f12/shocks-67gto-38419/
yes a lot of guys like the kyb...but after researching i think even more overall like the bilsteins...either would be great i guess but i'm leaning towards bilsteins....and they are original equipment on BMW, Ferrari, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Subaru, Toyota and GM trucks..so i figure they got to be ok...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts. Maybe I should be looking into Bilstiens as well, but research so far, have not seen any of these for GTO prior to 1968. I'm probably not doing shocks for a few months, so I got time to research.

·
Registered
704 Posts
actually 67 and earlier GTOs are always not listed because the original lower A arm had two different size opening for the shock to pass thru. One is the same size as the later A arm and the other does not. So it depends on what arms you are using. most of the 67 ones I have seen use the 68 and later sized opening. Now if you changed lower A arms to something else, either aftermarket or later GM factory arms, then order the 68-72 front shocks, so no problem. as for the rears, any 68-72 A body shock will work.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
The KYB's on my '67 are the same diameter as the OE shock. No fitment worries. But, they are '80's vintage so I don't know if they are still produced. Fiesta, I think you should dig into this some more, and perhaps upgrade to metric shock bolts and nuts....Research the thread pitch and the fastener grade. Lots of information to absorb!! Fine pitch vs coarse....maybe some Whitworth fasteners from across the pond? Gland nuts? Man, this is getting complicated.....

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your thoughts. Maybe I should be looking into Bilstiens as well, but research so far, have not seen any of these for GTO prior to 1968. I'm probably not doing shocks for a few months, so I got time to research.
hi, i'm no expert but have been doing a lot of research, here is the link to summits page with the bilsteins, overall it seems everyone is happy with bilsteins, i also hear a lot of good things about koni....but koni dont seem as easy to find but i think i have found some...not sure which one i will go for.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Chassis-Suspension/Part-Type/Shocks-and-Struts/Brand/Bilstein/Make/PONTIAC/Year/1967/Model/GTO/?Ns=Rank|Asc

i was told by jegs that there konis part 8040-1087 and 8040-1088 are the correct konis but the ad clearly says 68 onwards so i called koni australia, they tell me these konis are too short, but they do have the correct ones but i have no part number yet....so we need to be carfull and get shocks the same open and closed lenght as originals or very close....i got specs for the originals off koni and i think its pretty rare info , see below

original 67 gto shocks spec
front open 377.....closed 239
back open 539.....closed 331

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The KYB's on my '67 are the same diameter as the OE shock. No fitment worries. But, they are '80's vintage so I don't know if they are still produced. Fiesta, I think you should dig into this some more, and perhaps upgrade to metric shock bolts and nuts....Research the thread pitch and the fastener grade. Lots of information to absorb!! Fine pitch vs coarse....maybe some Whitworth fasteners from across the pond? Gland nuts? Man, this is getting complicated.....
gt...yep i'm doing my research , many guys might just buy the first shock the the kid at walmart says are best, but i need to know for sure, i now learn that some shocks may be too short like the konis that jegs wanted to sell me, koni themselves tell me they are too short, so research is good, i got the factory specs for shock lenght on the 67 gto from koni, i double checked and they say this is the specs....so i can now compare against whats on offer
original 67 gto shocks spec
front open 377.....closed 239
back open 539.....closed 331

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
konis .....after lots of investigating on these shocks i have found that the konis will work on the 67 gto, rears are perfect...only issue on front is i might have to open up hole on base of control arm just a hair or 2...not much if at all...i am going with konis as they are rebuildable and are adjustable...and in general you cant go past konis, though the bilsteins were close....but bilsteins are not adjustable....price on either was similar... thanks for all the thoughts on this....tony

1 - 13 of 13 Posts