Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some Kooks LT's Jet Hot coated and hi-flow cats.....

Did the whole thing in my garage on jack stands by myself. Wouldn't want to do it again alone but overall it wasn't all that bad....only a few skinned knuckles and 1 hole in the drywall (brace fell and hit me in the mouth).

I've got a few pictures of things and a few notes, some got ruined with "fluid damage" from the rack.

Lessons learned:

1. You must drop the rack, I don't know how else to get the room otherwise

2. Kooks' Instructions suck! Their headers rock but for something that costs that much, I felt like I had the instructions to a $5 swing set.

3. A 17mm crow's foot and 17mm stubby wrench is your friend

4. Watch out for those PS o-rings, I had the PS lines all back on and then saw a little black circle on the ground....that sucked!

5. Stock exhaust gasket edges are sharp....really sharp!

6. One of the spark plugs boots (driver' side 2nd from front) barely touches the header

7. I have nothing to compare to but I can tell a difference in heat levels. The engine bay still gets pretty hot but not like it was AND you can feel a difference in the cabin if you get in the car after it sits for a bit after a drive, a good bit warmer. I don't know if that's due to the coating or just the general result of LT's

Some more of the same notes with pictures:

http://www.wvsporttouring.com/JV/AdditionalInformationKooks.doc (1.05Mb)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hey even with jba shorty headers there is a problem with the wires hitting the headers. JBA sells a set of 9 or 8mm wires that should fix this. I just ordered a pair of the 9mm wires and they should arrive in a week and I will post to let you know if they clear. JBA said that they wouldn't hit, but sometimes companies will feed you a bunch of bs so you can buy their stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Hey even with jba shorty headers there is a problem with the wires hitting the headers. JBA sells a set of 9 or 8mm wires that should fix this. I just ordered a pair of the 9mm wires and they should arrive in a week and I will post to let you know if they clear. JBA said that they wouldn't hit, but sometimes companies will feed you a bunch of bs so you can buy their stuff.
I have the JBA shorty headers and their 8mm wires don't touch.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have had my Kooks on for about 2 months. I took a razor blade and shaved the #2 plug cover so it would not touch the header pipe and everything is fine. No problems with plug clearance on the passenger side.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I put my kooks headers and midpipes on last Friday. I had help of one of my friends but we followed those directions and It worked perfectly. No issues, no O2 warning lilght. It took about 3 1/2 hours total. Sounds great. I said I would post a video w/sound earlier this week but I won't get the chance to record it until this weekend which is a good thing because I just got my LS2 Predator today. So after we tune it this weekend I will post the video and sound for all to hear. Oh, by the way. I will be selling my Predator after I tune my goat and am comfortable with the tune. Probably 2-4 weeks. So if anyone is interested. I paid 399.99 plus tax at speed inc. I will sell it for 300.00 plus shipping. This is the LS2 Predator not the LS1.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I put my kooks headers and midpipes on last Friday. I had help of one of my friends but we followed those directions and It worked perfectly. No issues, no O2 warning lilght. It took about 3 1/2 hours total. Sounds great. I said I would post a video w/sound earlier this week but I won't get the chance to record it until this weekend which is a good thing because I just got my LS2 Predator today. So after we tune it this weekend I will post the video and sound for all to hear. Oh, by the way. I will be selling my Predator after I tune my goat and am comfortable with the tune. Probably 2-4 weeks. So if anyone is interested. I paid 399.99 plus tax at speed inc. I will sell it for 300.00 plus shipping. This is the LS2 Predator not the LS1.
I thought Predator only tuned 1 car @ a time :confused I have HPTuners :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
My Kooks don’t fit when I turn left and accelerate steering wheel locks up. I already cut as much off coupler as I can and there is no more adjustment. Really sux $1500 and all that work and don’t fit. I really need steering wheel to turn when I drive. I called Kooks no reply yet. There is nothing wrong with car only 7k mi and yes I did bolt motor mount down. I would not recommend Kooks LT for GTO

·
1/8 7.63 at 89.14, 60ft of 1.61
260 Posts
My Kooks don’t fit when I turn left and accelerate steering wheel locks up. I already cut as much off coupler as I can and there is no more adjustment. Really sux $1500 and all that work and don’t fit. I really need steering wheel to turn when I drive. I called Kooks no reply yet. There is nothing wrong with car only 7k mi and yes I did bolt motor mount down. I would not recommend Kooks LT for GTO
Sorry to hear about your kooks not fitting right, are you sure you have the steering joint in the right position? Does the steering wheel turn the same amount of times in each direction? Not trying to flame you or anything, just never heard this before. I hope you can get this solved.:cheers

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sorry to hear about your kooks not fitting right, are you sure you have the steering joint in the right position? Does the steering wheel turn the same amount of times in each direction? Not trying to flame you or anything, just never heard this before. I hope you can get this solved.:cheers
I know I’m the only one with problems when I buy the best. Ya steering is back the way it came off. BTW on cars with air bags if you don’t return coupler to same position, breaks clock spring in column that should be in instructions. It’s like pipes need to be spread apart for Rack. There is room on mtr side I don’t understand why they don’t use. I’m sure they are built on jig so I don’t understand why mine is so bad.:confused Wish kooks had returned my call so I could work on this wkend. I hate parking my car. I don’t know weather to take one Header off or return to stock pipes.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thanks to uncle Sams generosity this year at tax time, I just ordered my coated Kooks w/ catted mid pipes. What did you pay for yours? Just wanted to know if I got a good deal.

Should be here on the 7th of Feb according to the tracking number they sent me. About how long was the total install minus knuckle scrapping and cursing? My knuckels are pretty calloused so I should save about 30 minutes! :D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I got mine last July with mids for just over $1500. Install was not too bad. You will need to drop the steering rack. I had help and it took about half a day (included lunch & beer breaks).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.