Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When talking to a Pontiac Salesman about the lack of sales of the gto he brought up a good point that maybe the lack of gto sales was partly faulty advertising by GM. They advertised it as a another camaro or firebird....a crude fast machine. However, the gto is far more complex than the camaro/firebird....it combines muscle car performance with everyday luxury of a sizeable mid-size sedan...with an interior that rivals cadillacs and BMW's, and not to mention the numerous standard features that are part of it 33K base price. Tell ya put a mustang give it all the features a gto has and watch its price go up up and up. Anyway, i thought the sales rep had a probable theory. Any thoughts or remarks to this ????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dissenting View

I'm not sure I would agree with that, although it is highly possible.

I'm in the camp that the car was simply overpriced, and that people in the the price range of the GTO expect better service then what traditional Pontiac dealers offer. In my car shopping, I have had more positive experiences with dealers other than GM. For me, experienes with most -- but not all -- GM dealers is pretty painful and degrading. As a traditional SAAB and VW buyer, I have always liked their sales philosphies. Of course, SAAB basically went bankrupt.

I think the GTO would have done better if it had a more consumer-friendly, intellectual-stimulating sales environment and a more competitive price.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I must say I totally disagree. The GTO has a good price for what you get. The vehicle has a great powerplant and fully indepenent suspension at all 4 wheels that makes for a great driving car. The car is well put togeather with nice comfortable leather seats and a very functional interior. You mentioned VW in your comments. If it is like my neighbors VW you spend more time on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck than driving. I now have a second GTO in my driveway because the first one I purchased was such a good car.

·
Registered
674 Posts
the sales sucked because
A - They got the car late. instead of december it came in march or april
B - Immediately GM started talking about replacing hoods with scoops etc.
C - In August the announced the 05 would have 50 more hp, scoops etc.
D - They keep playing with the rebates. Just when you think they wont go lower they throw anoter 2000 into the car, then a week later they throw another 3000 into the car.

Im crying over the 3000 i would have saved if i waited a week, other guys are crying over the 5000 they would have saved if they waited two weeks, and the poor guys that paid over sticker for a car that after six months is worth half what they paid.

I just paid 23400, if I waited a week i could have gotten one for 20400. cmon cant get a civic for that money.

yeah sure other people are gonna run to the dealer to jump on this titanic.

Funny how the car, the quality of the car, etc. has nothing to do with the sales not being what they should be.

·
Registered
314 Posts
roadracer said:
If it is like my neighbors VW you spend more time on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck than driving.
Very true my friend, very true.

Tom said:
the sales sucked because
A - They got the car late. instead of december it came in march or april
B - Immediately GM started talking about replacing hoods with scoops etc.
C - In August the announced the 05 would have 50 more hp, scoops etc.
D - They keep playing with the rebates. Just when you think they wont go lower they throw anoter 2000 into the car, then a week later they throw another 3000 into the car.

Im crying over the 3000 i would have saved if i waited a week, other guys are crying over the 5000 they would have saved if they waited two weeks, and the poor guys that paid over sticker for a car that after six months is worth half what they paid.

I just paid 23400, if I waited a week i could have gotten one for 20400. cmon cant get a civic for that money.

yeah sure other people are gonna run to the dealer to jump on this titanic.

Funny how the car, the quality of the car, etc. has nothing to do with the sales not being what they should be.
Thank you once again for reminding my of the deals I missed by 4 weeks. I do however still plan to call the dealership, GMAC, GM, and my GM Card to see if bitching prevails!

Tom, do you really think we are SOL?

·
Registered
674 Posts
LS2+GTO=VAROOM! said:
Could you please give me an itemized breakdown on how you can snag a GTO for under 21K? Thanks
33200 sticker

31400 cost (31395 actually)

Less
500 coupon (some are giving 1500)
5500 rebate
2000 GM card earnings
=
less
3000 additional GM card earnings/bonus that just came out

=20400 or 19400 if all coupons were used.

Think people are going to buy them out at the end of the lease for the 18500 residual? Thats my residual buy out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
LS2+GTO=VAROOM! said:
Could you please give me an itemized breakdown on how you can snag a GTO for under 21K? Thanks
Invoice on Edmnds = 30700
Zone fees for advertising = 528
True Invoice = 31228 (in central florida)
GM Rebate = 5500
GM Card Roundup = 5000
Total = 20728

You can actually do a bit better than this. I did the above deal but had 5074 in GM Roundup $ (i don't know why). and they gave me 500 above kbb trade in for my doggy 1999 blazer with 104k miles and leaking heater core. I figure I was slightly over 20100 and i did not pay any extra dealer fees (just legit taxes) and the car was not a demo (had 61 miles). I also got the 2.9% financing. Best deal on the best car ever.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dammit i knew i should have gotten one of those GM cards, i figured the only car they would ever make that i wanted was a corvette after they got rid of the camaro and firebird anyway.

-Frank

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was told by GMCARD that the GM Round-up dollars were not given to everybody - only given to selected/random customers. Since it has not been advertised, they may be correct. I'm going to talk with the dealer today to make sure they weren't telling me to just apeasing me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts