Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is interested, gates open at 4:00, $20.00 to run your car. It is a fun, safe way to see what your car runs. Let me know if you are interested in meeting up and running our GTO's together. Located in Milan, MI directions at www.milandragway.com.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually there are test and tunes on saturday Nov. 5 and 12 from 12-6

I am taking my 05 gto on the 5th with a couple friends(srt-4, Cobalt ss) :D

If anyone else would like to go it would be fun to have a few GTO's there and get in the last run of the year.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
matt2 said:
Actually there are test and tunes on saturday Nov. 5 and 12 from 12-6

I am taking my 05 gto on the 5th with a couple friends(srt-4, Cobalt ss) :D

If anyone else would like to go it would be fun to have a few GTO's there and get in the last run of the year.
If the weather is nice, I'll be there early. From 12-3. I have a Torrid Red 05 GTO. See you there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was the only GTO there on Sat. Lots of guys with GTP's. One ran 10.4's. Got a lot of nice comments about the car. While waiting in the staging lane, I had the hood popped to help cool the LS2 and there were a lot of people suprised to see the 6.0 motor in the GTO. Had bad wheel hop and crappy 60 ft times, but finished the day with a best of 13.3 @ 105 (had to borrow a helmet after my first run).

G

·
OK, this is really starting to bother me. SOOO many guys complain about wheel hop but the one I drove (auto) experienced NO hint of hop and I was on it a LOT! From a stop, a roll, braking in turns, etc. I am assuming your a manual, and maybe I should drive one of those........but I still have trouble understanding how your getting hop. Unless your leaving at such a high rpm the rearend is literally bouncing off the pavement and causing the condition.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
big_mike said:
OK, this is really starting to bother me. SOOO many guys complain about wheel hop but the one I drove (auto) experienced NO hint of hop and I was on it a LOT! From a stop, a roll, braking in turns, etc. I am assuming your a manual, and maybe I should drive one of those........but I still have trouble understanding how your getting hop. Unless your leaving at such a high rpm the rearend is literally bouncing off the pavement and causing the condition.
I have only experienced slight hop on the street, but this was TERRIBLE! Yes it is a 6 speed and I was leaving at 1750-2000 rpm. Nothing I would consider major. On a surface which is prepped for traction (like a drag strip) the GTO rearend bounces pretty bad. I had 28 lbs in the rear tire, 35 up front.

G

·
Were you poppin or riding the clutch? I used to suck at driving a manual but driving my cavy and being able to practice everyday, I have learned some tricks. I am no where NEAR as good with a manual as I am an auto, but I would like to think I can help some drivers stop their hop problems.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have drag raced a 1992 Mustang with a 5 Speed TKO and a King Cobra Clutch for the past 8 years and never experience wheel hop like this (the stang is a live rear axle vs, IRS on the GTO). Stang is a high 12 sec car @ 110 mph, so it is close to the same HP as the GTO (but about 700 lbs lighter). I don't think it is driver error.

On my first run, I popped the clutch at around 1700 rpm, then I let it out a little slower on the 2nd pass and the hop was about the same. On final pass, I just drove it off the line and punched it once I was rolling (that was best elapsed time). At lunch today I went down a country rode near my office and launched the GTO at 2200 to see if there was maybe a suspension prob, but I spun the tires with no wheel hop at all. I think it was the track surface.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QwkRed05GTO said:
I have drag raced a 1992 Mustang with a 5 Speed TKO and a King Cobra Clutch for the past 8 years and never experience wheel hop like this (the stang is a live rear axle vs, IRS on the GTO). Stang is a high 12 sec car @ 110 mph, so it is close to the same HP as the GTO (but about 700 lbs lighter). I don't think it is driver error.

On my first run, I popped the clutch at around 1700 rpm, then I let it out a little slower on the 2nd pass and the hop was about the same. On final pass, I just drove it off the line and punched it once I was rolling (that was best elapsed time). At lunch today I went down a country rode near my office and launched the GTO at 2200 to see if there was maybe a suspension prob, but I spun the tires with no wheel hop at all. I think it was the track surface.

G

·
ya cant host images from your computer. It needs to be online somewhere.

Granted its probably not driver error but you have experience, some other users dont.

also, a mustang is KNOWN for either hooking like a champ, or spinning like its on ice. Cant really compare a LA to an IRS.

I would venture to say try riding the clutch at a 4000 launch rpm to where its not fully out until your at the tree. Sure its bad on a clutch but in talking with a racing friend of mine, if done properly, you can get some impressive short times on a street tire.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's a historical problem with Milan Dragway and wheelhop. The starting line is like going uphill on a backroad in Europe. That's why many of us went to Detroit Dragway. Better 60-ft times and a guy will take a pic of your car taking off for $20.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.