Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I need to buy a lawnmower...I have ALOT of grass to cover but I don't think I wanna spend 1500 bucks or more for a ride on...This is my first house so I don't know anything about lawn care...any advice?

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Guys I need to buy a lawnmower...I have ALOT of grass to cover but I don't think I wanna spend 1500 bucks or more for a ride on...This is my first house so I don't know anything about lawn care...any advice?
I know quite a bit on lawn care....

You say lawnmower.... I assume by ALOT of grass you have quite a bit to mow.. My recommendation is a rider but since you don't wanna spend 1500 on one... May I suggest a used rider? There are riding lawnmowers and there are lawn tractors. For your first house with lots of grass a used one may be found far less than 1500. You can find nice new walk behinds with 6.5 HP in the 4-500 range but that's a lot of walking....

I'd consider a used rider... You should be able to find them with various HP in the 800 on up range. Higher the HP the more umpf ya got. I'd look for HP in at least 9-10 HP for riders. If you look at used, look first at mower shops then keep an eye on the local newspapers.

As far as brands...... You'll get a hundred different recommendations.... Good ones in my opinion..... Riders and tractors... John Deere, Cub Cadet are up there... Walk behinds... Lawn Boy is up there, as is Cub Cadet, to name a couple. Some are 2 cycles they will blow some smoke and you'll stink of it afterwards...

Some places offer 12 month same as cash. Buy a tractor now pay it off a little at a time... You'll have a year to come up with the dough to pay it all off. You may want to consider that option as well.

John Deere has a line of Lawn tractors starting at like 1499. They generally offer 12 months same as cash... I'd check in to that... I am sure others offer the same deal.....

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
You weren't specific about how much lawn you have or your age / physical condition. Also, you gave no indication of the slope of your lot. Level? Rock outcropping? Hillside?

Personally, I have never owned a rider or tractor. Too big too expensive, and I like the excercise. In fact, my current mower is the first I ever bought with propulsion.

My lots have always been between 0.5 and 1.0 acres. Subtract maybe a 1/4 of that for house, driveway, sidewalks, and landscaping and a 22" walk behind mower will cut a lawn like this in a couple of hours and it won't take up a lot of garage space.

5HP is enough but they seem to increase power every year and you can find a 6.5HP craftsman for $300-$400 that is self propelled. All of the small engine companies make decent small engines, Briggs, Koehler, & Honda. They will all last at least 5 years, probably 10 if well cared for. A Sears store is generally easy to find, they back it up with a service dept, and they're a pretty good value.

One other note, if your lot is sloped badly, a rider or tractor can be dangerous (tipping). Be careful when traversing a slope with a narrow wheebase / high center of gravity (you) vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts