Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that when the car has been heat soaked by the sun, my center LCD display (under the speedo) becomes almost unreadable. It turns almost black with vertical banding depending on what's supposed to be displayed. And it also displays almost every peripheral icon (like the gear for an AT, cruise, etc.) In the mornings or after it cools down, the LCD is perfect. I will attach some pictures later.

Most LCDs don't like heat and will turn black as a result, but this can't be normal for the LCD in the GTO as the side ones are fine. My big concern is how big a tear-up it is to get at the cluster to fix it. If one of the GM service monkeys has to remove the IP, then forget it; I'll live with it. If it can be removed from underneath by removing the knee bolster assembly and lowering the steering column, then maybe.

Just looking to see if anyone else is seeing this. And it's not even the heat of the summer around here (greater Detroit area).

- Dieter

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dieter...I got my GTO back in June and I live in the hot, humid south. (NC) I haven't experienced this problem at all. I'm wondering if it's specific to your new ride. ???
Lisa

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lisatw151 said:
Dieter...I got my GTO back in June and I live in the hot, humid south. (NC) I haven't experienced this problem at all. I'm wondering if it's specific to your new ride. ???
Lisa
If it's not a problem for you, then it's likely a defective LCD panel in mine. Now the question is whether I can get an answer from a local Pontiac dealer.

Thanks.

- Dieter

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I concur w/ Lisa- I live in the California desert (about 4-3/4" from the surface of the Sun) and I haven't seen it...

·
Registered
51 Posts
xp800 said:
I have noticed that when the car has been heat soaked by the sun, my center LCD display (under the speedo) becomes almost unreadable. It turns almost black with vertical banding depending on what's supposed to be displayed. And it also displays almost every peripheral icon (like the gear for an AT, cruise, etc.) In the mornings or after it cools down, the LCD is perfect. I will attach some pictures later.

Most LCDs don't like heat and will turn black as a result, but this can't be normal for the LCD in the GTO as the side ones are fine. My big concern is how big a tear-up it is to get at the cluster to fix it. If one of the GM service monkeys has to remove the IP, then forget it; I'll live with it. If it can be removed from underneath by removing the knee bolster assembly and lowering the steering column, then maybe.

Just looking to see if anyone else is seeing this. And it's not even the heat of the summer around here (greater Detroit area).

- Dieter
Man aren't you glad you have a warranty! Take it back!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Picture of it...

<EDIT>

I thought the pic had uploaded. Only 30kB. It says 'exceeded quota' by the exact picture size when I try. Anybody know how ?

<EDIT>

This is after it had cooled down a bit. It was actually much worse.

- Dieter

·
Registered
159 Posts
Are you talking about the DIC(Driver Info Center)

If so take it to a reputable corvette tuner near you, they shoudl be able to diagnose the problem and fix it for you... What area are you in... i could probably tell you a good shop to get it looked at :cheers

·
Registered
53 Posts
2tirefire said:
Man aren't you glad you have a warranty! Take it back!
:agree .... .... Go with the warrenty, that's what its for and you paid for it. A tuner may be able to figure it out... but this kinda stuff is not really their speciality. A tuners speciality is Horse Power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts